Mullet watch 2005

Guest sslatter

Current warm weather is psychologically uplifting, but I suspect there's more to it than water temperature: I believe day-length (and/or angle of the sun) and tide-cycles combine with water temperature to provide the necessary they're-here-and-they're-feeding trigger.

Whatever the case - it won't be long!

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sslatter

I'll have to get my camera out, just so I can post some shots of what we're seeing down here at the moment.. there are literally thousands swimming around..

..but I haven't caught one this year yet..

Guest sslatter

Matt- if and when I get my (non-digital) camera down the river, I'll have to get the pics developed, and then scanned at a friend's house, when he's at home, which isn't often- so no promises.

I haven't heard anything about Littlehampton, but I was down the Hamble this afternoon and saw about 200-250 fish swimming around.

On the Itchen, it's thinlip central at the moment. I wonder where they all disappear to as it gets into summer, because disappear they do.

All the best.

Graham, your disappearing thinlips don't come up the Medway, that's for sure! The number of individual fish in our "shoals", when they do eventually arrive, can be counted on the fingers of one finger...!

[ 21. March 2005, 11:54 AM: Message edited by: Jim Gibbinson ]

Guest sslatter

"..the fingers of one finger.."

Sorry to hear that Jim. All you Medway mulleteers, and only one fish to catch between you all!? Has Leon R. been telling porkies? :D

Seriously though, it is a bit of a mystery. Down here, come about mid-May, the thousands of thins will have vanished, leaving the usual few territorial groups of thicks, with the odd few thins here and there. Don't ask me where all those other thins go- I just don't know.

maddies catch thinns ....

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

Guest sslatter

sam-cox- they're not interested in anything at all down here at the moment. All they're doing is aimlessly floating around in the shallow water over the mudflats, now-and-again scraping their stomachs into the mud, turning on their sides, and convulsing for a couple of seconds. Their behaviour is very like some spawning fish, but I can't believe that's what they're doing, because those mudflats get completely exposed at low tide, and on a Spring low with good weather, they more-or-less dry out- the tides are coming up to Springs now.. so..

???