22lb pike killed and eaten

Andy_1984

just found out about this but i think its quite old news.

was told by my local tackle shop that a place i visit now and again known for some decent pike some **** killed a 20lb+ pike and ate it ! no names were mentioned but got a description of him i swear if i see him hes getting hunted off the swim.

im all for taking a fish for the pot but a 22lb pike..... if he was so intent on taking a pike for eating why not something smaller and im sure a 1-3lb jack would taste nicer than a 20lb juggernaut

also whats the average age of a 20lb'r

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Pike grow very quickly and don't live very long, so a 20lb fish would be likely to be less than 10 years old.

A small fish would have been better eating, and leaving a large specimen for others to catch would have been less selfish.

If im not mitaken in extreme cases as in trout water fish a twenty pounder could be as young as five years old possibly even less. due to the abundance of easy prey. Hence a lot of trout water fish have small heads and tails and a lot in between. Certainly on average pike grow a little slower but a well proportioned twenty is unlikely to be much more the ten years old.

I certainly wouldnt want to eat one myself. their full of bones. I have enough to put me of if i find one in my battered cod.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

Yes, could be significantly younger in a very rich water. A former colleague raised pike from fry, and despite having extensive experience raising tropical fish he was shocked by how fast they grow.

Yes your right a lot of 20lb+ res fish I catch are only around 5-6 years old....hence why they are reletively short but so fat!

Biggest pike Ive eaten was around 8lb and that wasnt to bad (made in to fish cakes with garlic and cheese sauce) but I just dont see the point of taking fish much bigger though.Jeeze how much pike do you want to eat!

Ive only eaten res fish so therefore only young fish so cant really comment on pike from other waters.

I think in a lot of cases these "pike eating anglers" who take big fish arnt really doing it for the eating its just that they havnt progressed from the child hood "take it home to show Mum and Dad" syndrome.Shame.

A lot of big pike are sold at Billingsgate.These are brought mainly by the resteraunt trade.The pike is cooked and dressed and used as a "centre piece" but according to my mates in the trade rarely eaten! Now that is a waste.

Edited by BUDGIE

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!