Barton Court Fish-in 13th March

Chris Plumb

Guest tigger
well ,theres a rather ungamley way , if you have a fish on then best wait until next trot down don't bait up & let the float run through and a bit beyond then as retrieve your tackle jam the but of the rod between your body and arm or jam it into the side of your groin .Move your right hand up onto the rod near the first ring (or as far up as is comfortable) wrapping the index fing & thumb around it to grip the rod (but still allow too twist side to side) with the other fingers stretched out strait use them to guide the line as you retrive to move over the face of the drum and give a more even spread .

If I wanted the line laying neatly across the drum/spool on a pin then I'd just reel in with the handle and use my finger on my hand holding the rod to lay the line from side to side as you do with a multiplier with no level wind.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Steve and tigger, already knew about that method of line laying from my fly fishing, just wondered if the lop-sided line lay was anything to be worried about and/or correct.

On a general note, I've assembled my last three photos into a panorama:

large.jpg

Geoff

well ,theres a rather ungamley way , if you have a fish on then best wait until next trot down don't bait up & let the float run through and a bit beyond then as retrieve your tackle jam the but of the rod between your body and arm or jam it into the side of your groin .Move your right hand up onto the rod near the first ring (or as far up as is comfortable) wrapping the index fing & thumb around it to grip the rod (but still allow too twist side to side) with the other fingers stretched out strait use them to guide the line as you retrive to move over the face of the drum and give a more even spread .

That's one of the advantages of having the line come off the 'wrong way', ie, the top of the spool.

Your fore finger is just in the right position to reach the line. I have my pin slightly offset, so that the line would normally build up at the back of the spool. I just have to 'push' the line to the front, and release, and it acts like a 'level wind'. It becomes second nature after a while.

The other reasons I load my reels like that are, if I have to give line to a fish, the spool runs along my thumb instead of against it. The line runs off the spool directly through the butt ring, without any angle. I find that this, combined with my thumb always over where the line leaves the spool, helps prevent the line running off, and round the back of the reel.

I've done this so for long now, that I can't cope with the line coming off the 'right way'.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Thanks Steve and tigger, already knew about that method of line laying from my fly fishing, just wondered if the lop-sided line lay was anything to be worried about and/or correct.

No I wouldn't worry about it too much, it just means that you might get a bit more line bedding but if you don't suffer from that then leave it. Your wide drum reel is effectively operating as a narrow drum.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Excellent, thank you chaps.

Just need to work on keeping that line from wrapping around the backplate now.

Geoff