Barton Court Fish-in 13th March

Chris Plumb

I've changed my mind about the piking, I'm just taking a trotting rod and a quivertip rod. That should cover everything! Chris (and anyone else who's fished there) what's the chub fishing like? Plenty of them? Ditto perch? I've got a load of cheesepaste and dozens of big lobs to use up!

I've never even seen the Kennet, let alone fished it, I'm really looking forward to it :)

Is it easy to find or will I need extra directions from those in the know?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is it easy to find or will I need extra directions from those in the know?

Directions are easy. From the A34 take the A4 towards Hungerford, four miles along the A4 turn left towards Kintbury (signposted) and the fishery entrance is maybe 300 yards down on the right. It's not signposted and the turning does appear quickly.

From the entrance (where the lodge is) stay on the track, go over a crossroads and keep going until you get to a yard. Turn left and just keep following the track until you come to the parking area wooden hut and tables, there are signs to the river.

Thinking about it now I've only ever caught Grayling, Trout and Roach at BC. Perch and Chub have never come easily to me there, Chris P will know more.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

I've changed my mind about the piking, I'm just taking a trotting rod and a quivertip rod. That should cover everything! Chris (and anyone else who's fished there) what's the chub fishing like? Plenty of them? Ditto perch? I've got a load of cheesepaste and dozens of big lobs to use up!

Good head of perch - I'll be bringing lobs. Few Chub - I've only ever had 1 or 2 and nothing over 3lb. There are quite a few bream - which can be err fun in fast water. At an IAC fish in a few years back - someone targetted these with a hemp/caster approach and had quite a bag of bream upto (IIRC) 7lb+. Other than that its as has been reported - some big roach, grayling, dace and loads of trout!!!, and there are a lot of pike!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

And gudgeon.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Cheers folks, I can see that there won't be enough time in the day :)

Are there any/many barbel?

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

From the entrance (where the lodge is) stay on the track, go over a crossroads and keep going until you get to a yard. Turn left and just keep following the track until you come to the parking area wooden hut and tables, there are signs to the river.

Cheers Rusty - shouldn't it be a right though (going from the website)?

I hope that the M25 is running better than last time.

I left home at 6am and didn't arrive until after 10am :(

This will be my first local-ish fish-in, only about 40 minutes down the A34 :)

Not that I'm gloating, you understand... :D

Are there any/many barbel?

None - the barbel have been using the salmon ladders to move upstream on the Kennet - the last salmon ladder is at Hampstead Marshall - so unlikely that barbel will ever make it upstream to BC.

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

...I can see that there won't be enough time in the day :)

I think that's going to be my major hurdle, effective time management on an unknown venue.

I've given up on the light quiver idea, I hope I can wing it either trotting, or touch legering with my float rod. I'm still taking my 12ft 1.5lb TC rod for wobbling a small deadbait for pike should the opportunity arise.

Geoff