What am I doing wrong

chris parker

Is it me, am I doing something wrong?

How many times do you see a request for wrecks/marks posts and how many replies do they have?

I have answered numerous posts of this type and have offered confirmed wreck marks to several people on forums who are asking for them. I have posted replys and sent personal emails with my home phone number to them offering what they are requesting and not one has got in touch.

Personally I think we should all be encouraging and supportive to fellow fishermen especially beginners. I have 30 odd years of boat fishing and remember those people along the way who helped me.

Is there a problem with giving people marks? Is there some sort of forum etiquet that as a beginner I am not aware of?

Chris

You aren't doing anything wrong. There does however seem to be a bit of the Secret Squirrel about a lot of anglers these days, particularly in the coarse fishing game, carp & barbel especially (you should have seen the fuss when someone posted a complete description of some barbel swims in a post on one of the barbel forums - you'd think he'd just sold the crown jewels!).

I think one of the beauties of the internet is that it lets people ask questions and get answers with the minimum of effort and with anonymity. Asking someone to ring someone they don't know and who they don't know the pedigree of is too much like hard work for a lot of people. I know I'd feel a bit uncomfortable ringing someone cold, even if invited, but then I've always been a bit shy anyway

So I think the answer is don't give up - it costs you nothing and will hopefully be useful to someone at some point :)

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Hello Chris.

You`re not doing anything wrong. Their are just too many selfish anglers around. Even on this site?

Before you all come around my house. Let me state that there are many genuine anglers that, both give advice, offer to meet up with other anglers and actually make the effort to fish with others from this site!! YEAH!!

Some however, use this site as a place to read useful information and give nothing back?

I hope you`ll continue to give what you can Chris. Just forget the wasters, they`re not worth worrying about!

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Chris,

I believe we have met before on another angling forum regarding the issue of tope fishing. You kindly e-mailed me information, not only on tope fishing but also your telephone number should I want a chat and a gracious invitation to go fishing (across the pond) with you in the summer - an invitation which I hope to be able to accept, everything being OK with the missus and kids. I also hope to give you a ring some time in the near future if you're still up for it.

I am glad there are folk like you around willing to impart information so freely; sometimes obtaining information from fellow anglers is like pulling teeth. I live in an area of enormous fishing potential, I am not alone in thinking this - Mike Thrussel agrees. I have at my doorstep over 30 miles of unfished shoreline - this is no exaggeration. I also have numerous virgin wrecks within 3 - 7 miles of shore, and I mean numerous. Due to the lack of interest in angling in the area information is very hard to come by regarding methods, baits etc. I have tried to obtain information previously yet met with limited success - I don't know why this should be.

So please, please continue dispensing advice for those poor souls like me who desperatley need it.

Tommy.

Chris,

I've often noticed that if people on the forum genuinely don't know the answer to a post it just gets left in the dark. It's nothing personal, more so if you don't have a clue why take up forum space saying so? Alan (Taylor) being the friendly exception, he'll say if he doesn't know (which isn't very often) and invite others to fill in the gaps. Sometimes it pays to search the forum archive as the same question may have been asked previously and got an answer then.

I fall into the 'haven't a clue brigade' on your question - I live in Ireland and almost exclusively shore fish - bloody Paddy land-lubber :rolleyes: no use to any true salty :D

Neil.

davidp, spasor,tommy thanks for the support.

I don,t see the problem with giving G.P.S. numbers away, I mean how many times have you been fishing and another boat has come within 20 feet and no doubt clicked you on the G.P.S. It is so easy these days, I believe the skill still lies in knowing how to fish the mark not just where the mark is.

davidp you make a valid point on calling a stranger, perhaps I should introduce myself.

I am married with one 14 year old son and a bured out refugee from the rat race in Manchester. I live near Caernarfon 5 mins from Ronnies for those of you who know this part of the world.

I have owned a few boats from 6 feet to my 21 feet. My latest is a Quicksilver Pilothouse 620 with 90 four stroke. I regularly fish Caernarfon bay and have about 100 marks including wrecks out 40 miles towards Ireland. I keep live sandeels in tanks in the garden thro the bass season for bait.

There is an open invitation to go out fishing with me to anyone. I can take 3 on the boat and have a 35 foot static caravan in the garden if you need accomodation.

Hope to put some faces to names in the near future

chris

chris parker:

davidp, spasor,tommy thanks for the support.

I don,t see the problem with giving G.P.S. numbers away, I mean how many times have you been fishing and another boat has come within 20 feet and no doubt clicked you on the G.P.S. It is so easy these days, I believe the skill still lies in knowing how to fish the mark not just where the mark is.

davidp you make a valid point on calling a stranger, perhaps I should introduce myself.

I am married with one 14 year old son and a bured out refugee from the rat race in Manchester. I live near Caernarfon 5 mins from Ronnies for those of you who know this part of the world.

I have owned a few boats from 6 feet to my 21 feet. My latest is a Quicksilver Pilothouse 620 with 90 four stroke. I regularly fish Caernarfon bay and have about 100 marks including wrecks out 40 miles towards Ireland. I keep live sandeels in tanks in the garden thro the bass season for bait.

There is an open invitation to go out fishing with me to anyone. I can take 3 on the boat and have a 35 foot static caravan in the garden if you need accomodation.

Hope to put some faces to names in the near future

chris

I wish we were neighbours!

Lack of transport (apart from relying on my wife) just about kills off any chance of me sea fishing or any decent course fishing.

Oh BTW If I was able to supply info I'd do it at the drop of a hat. Unfortunatly, my brain and Homers match in size.

[ 02. December 2002, 11:15 PM: Message edited by: Bilko ]

Neil Foley:

I've often noticed that if people on the forum genuinely don't know the answer to a post it just gets left in the dark. It's nothing personal, more so if you don't have a clue why take up forum space saying so?

Neil - I have noticed the same thing. But I have also noticed that threads that have even one response seem to draw more attention than those with zero. I think in many cases Alan does the same thing I tend to do which is give a response - even absent knowing any specifics that can help.

I've seen threads that languished for several days at zero responses. Then post something to it - anything at all - and it starts getting substantative responses.

And if not, the poster at least knows someone has taken a look and has an opinion.

Not only angling forums either. I post to several "windows help" forums and often it only takes a single response that may only be asking for more information to get things rolling. Or sometimes a simple

^bump^ (just bringing this back to the top)

to get responses started.

[ 02. December 2002, 11:16 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

chris parker:

Bilco

got no neighbours only sheep!!!

If Tommy is going to come over this summer he also lives in Ireland. Is there any chance of getting together with him.

Alternatively I could pick you up at Holyhead in the car or boat.

chris

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

You haven't met my neighbours

It's a tempting offer indeed. It also gives me time to beg permission from Mrs Bilko :)