Grayling fishing

Guest tigger

I think if you're getting some bites with corn, that's the way you should be going. It is the closed season for a reason. Trout need peace to breed, just like pike and we're always being told not to target them when they're breeding so why is it OK to pull out trout during the closed season but not pike during the open season??

You said you caught 100 fish a piece, which I'm sure is - a great day! but how many grayling do you need to catch for it to be a productive session? 1....5....10....20?? How many is enough to make it a good day? If you're missing a few fish to the exclusion of the trout, that's what you should be doing, is it not?

Why don't you accept that you've had a red letter day, enjoy it for what it was and leave the trout alone.

The river I fished Andy is pretty much an out and out Game river but they allow a few coarse fishermen to fish for a couple of months a year. The Keeper actually chats with us while we are fishing and watches us catch the trout and is unconserned about it. If he's not botherd then I'm not. I would imagine if we started knockin em on the head he'd get a bit upset but he can see we release them totally unharmed so no harm done. IMO lifes to short for closed seasons anyway.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The river I fished Andy is pretty much an out and out Game river but they allow a few coarse fishermen to fish for a couple of months a year. The Keeper actually chats with us while we are fishing and watches us catch the trout and is unconserned about it. If he's not botherd then I'm not. I would imagine if we started knockin em on the head he'd get a bit upset but he can see we release them totally unharmed so no harm done. IMO lifes to short for closed seasons anyway.

So that makes it OK then? I thought it was actually illegal to catch salmon parr?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

So that makes it OK then? I thought it was actually illegal to catch salmon parr?

Den

Catching trout while grayling fishing is just an occupational hazard on most grayling rivers, so maybe we should ban grayling fishing. As for catching Salmon parr, i think we should build some bigger prisons then, but doesn't there have to be some intent?

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

I didn't know people felt so strongly about catching out of season/about to spawn trout.

Andy, I can't speak for all rivers of course, but on my local streams the wild brownies will take anything, including corn, luncheon meat and pellets. Sometimes the only thing they won't take is a fly :D

PS a 3lb grayling is a once-in-a-lifetime monster!

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I didn't know people felt so strongly about catching out of season/about to spawn trout.

Funny thing is Anderoo like I said to Andy there wern't any signs of the fish being ready to spawn, well not that I noticed. As you'll know usually when your holding a fish firmly and there ready for spawning you usually get a dribble or so of milt but there was none.

In my experience wild brownies will take corn, bread, meat, pellets or just about any other bait. Wild brownies are some of the easiest fish to catch except with a fly rod, which is the whole point really.

If you fish for Grayling you are going to catch trout if they are present, it’s then a question of how you handle them, you should aim to unhook them in the water if possible.

As to a 3lb grayling, that is a rare fish indeed and I am green with envy

:rolleyes:

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

I'd crawl over broken glass for a 3lb Grayling. That's a cracker. Any piccies of this beast of yours??

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I'd crawl over broken glass for a 3lb Grayling. That's a cracker. Any piccies of this beast of yours??

I've only fished for Grayling for the last two seasons (never having caught one before) previous to this and both myself and friends have caught quite a number of 3lb plus Grayling between us. Beacause of this I assumed a 3lb Grayling was a common thing. I must have struck lucky with the stretch of river I've been fishing. One of my friends has been fishing there for around 15yrs and reckons the river yoused to be bursting with Dace and plenty of nice sized Chub (his best Chub being just over 6lb) and just a few Grayling. Now there's no sign of Dace or Chub whatsoever, there just seems to be Trout, Salmon, Grayling and an odd Pike in the river.

Edited by tigger