Possible answer to deep hooking

poledark

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Den,

Have you been following the 'No More Trebles' thread?

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Trebles-t701534.html

Yes Leon, is it relevant?

Inturned point hooks have been around for quite a while now, but I can't quite see how you would mount a deadbait on one, but that is just me i'm afraid.

Tried them for hair rigs for carp and missed every run, and most of them were "screamers". Even testing them in the time honoured way by drawing them across the knuckles, fails to get a hook up.

Having voiced my doubts, I wish you success with your testing, which has shown that you can catch some fish on them. I await the time when you get a deep hooked pike/perch and the hook simply slides out.

Re the "upside down hook", all I am looking for is a way to make existing traces for bait fishing safer, even if someone else is inspired to come up with something even more promising.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Den - the circles are effective on fish with a bony mouth ridge but not very good (indeed, pretty poor) for soft/sucker mouth species.

About the only time I consider using circles when carping is if the area is heavily loaded with catfish since I'd rather lose some carp than deep hook and maybe kill some catfish.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Well I have tied up some traces and will give them a try out this week....

Testrig.jpg

The single I will hook thro the tail (half herring) and both the trebles I will hook in the flesh of the bait. The reversed treble can move under pressure, but only up to the single hook. I am expecting some fish to get hooked outside the mouth ? The single hook is fixed.

Den

Edited by poledark

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

Looks good to me Den, but as i said before Ive not done a lot of piking so thats not worth a lot. It looks to me as if there is a bit of scope for playing around with where you put the backward facing treble, as maybe it could go just above the single? The other thing that struck me looking at it is would it help if you crushed the barbs on the backward facing treble as i don't see why you would need them? Anyway I will shut up now as i don't know what I'm going on about and just see how you get on.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Nicely made rig Den

TBH though to me it seems like more hooks & more complication but I'm someone that usually uses a single treble if I can and never uses traditional snap tackle rigs (two trebles)

Definately worth a try though and if it works for you and gives you some more confidence then that's all good.

Cheers lads :) Lutra, I have crushed the barbs on two of each hook (probably not enough) and I can alter the position of the back facing one. Could be a long process this, and maybe never getting a definite answer.

I think I will move the middle one closer to the bottom treble anyway :)

Den

That's a smart looking trace Den. I think that might just work and I'd like to see a few photographs of hookups, if possible. As I've said in the circle thread, I'm just not happy with the idea of going for the scissors. I think it's damaging (for pike) and it's definitely not for me anymore but your rig could just be the right idea. It's still going for the right parts of the mouth IMO without allowing for the trace to go too far.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Well I have tied up some traces and will give them a try out this week....

Testrig.jpg

The single I will hook thro the tail (half herring) and both the trebles I will hook in the flesh of the bait. The reversed treble can move under pressure, but only up to the single hook. I am expecting some fish to get hooked outside the mouth ? The single hook is fixed.

Den

Let us know how you get on Den. It will be interesting to here the findings, You might have to have a few sessions to get a real idea if its effectiveness

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.