Wannabe Kayak Fisher (Swansea, Port Talbot)

RV

Hi everyone,

I have been a keen angler for many years (Coarse) and have been toying with the sea kayak fishing idea (and still toying with it to some extent) for a number of years now but am yet to take the plunge. I have been reading up a little bit though.

How exactly do you get into it? It seems a bit dangerous to just go buy a Kayak and paddle it out into the ocean. How did you all get started? - should you get proper training?

Also, as my Username suggests I am rather big at 6ft 5inches tall and around 16 stone - not the easiest thing to keep afloat!

What (if any) Kayaks would suit me? - just interested in having a look at them at moment. (Very long legs 36 inch inseam)

From Nr Swansea (Neath) - any kayak fisherman near?

(ps - posted this message on another forum as well and got some good advice and looking for as much advice as I can get)

Cheers

Rob

Hi RV

Welcome to anglers net :)

There are a lot of Kayak Fisherman near you, heres a link to them.

http://www.northwaleskayakfishing.co.uk/

Great bunch of people, friendly and very helpull, they have got it right and will look after you.

Hope you still come visit here though :D:D:D;)

Good Luck.....stay dry :)

Bill.

Edited by Yakity - Yak - u.k.

Hi Rob,

I'm at the same sort of stage as you...trying to rekindle an old love of fishing and enthused at the idea of getting afloat. Just doing all my homework before buying a kayak and kit.

My approach so far has been:

1. Reading these forums as there is a wealth of useful info and experience here.

2. Taking a few canoeing courses to start to build up the skills and knowledge. I've taken the BCU 1* in an open canoe on a canal and have just done the BCU 1* Sea Kayaking. The other advantage of taking a course or two is that you get to try out different kayaks which starts to give you a good feel for what you'd be most comfortable in.

3. Have a good think about the sort of water you may want to fish in, are you likely to yak with others or alone, etc. This will start to give you an idea of the right yak and equipment (primarily to keep you safe).

4. There seem to be lots of good books out there and I've certainly made use of some of these to explore paddling technique, navigation, safety, radio theory...the list is endless. The theory is a great foundation for when you get out there and start to experience the practical.

5. Try before you buy! This is proving a little challenging in the UK but it depends on which yak you fancy. Again, many of the guys/girls on these fishing forums seem to have regular meets and seem most accommodating to letting people try their boats.

Good luck...last one in the sea buys the coffees :D

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob,

Ive recently taken the plunge and combined the two great sports,having done both for years,only in their

own right. Ive recently sold my expedition kayak and after a 6 month search and trial period.Ive bought an ocean

kayak,prowler 15 trident.

Im a big guy and I like to take a load of kit with me whether im fishing or touring.The trident is a long yet stable

yak,capable of carrying approx 250 Kg. I use the shortest leg adjustment and there must be another 8 inches to

spare ,so I should think it would fine for you.

I live close to you,im at Aberavon beach.If you like,you could come over and take a good look at the yak. I could

also show you where the locals do most of their fishing.

cheers

Martin

How exactly do you get into it? It seems a bit dangerous to just go buy a Kayak and paddle it out into the ocean. How did you all get started? - should you get proper training?

Cheers

Rob

"It seems a bit dangerous to just go buy a Kayak and paddle it out into the ocean"

that was what I did,but I had the benefit of years of experience in other kayak disciplines ;)I didn't even know about kayakfishing forums (there was only one then anyway)

I would recommend that you try and get on one of the SOT courses next year run by Darnsarf on Anglers Afloat,it is the only course that I know of that will teach you all the relevant knowledge ;)

http://anglersafloat.proboards107.com/inde...&thread=710

Team Ocean Kayaks U.K.

Kayaks: Necky vector,Flame SPTW

previous Kayaks:Yellow Ocean Kayaks Caper,Flame Prowler 13,Sunrise Ocean Kayaks Prowler 15 Trident, Perception Dancer XT

assisted rescues---5

longest paddle:65 miles

top speed under sail 11.1mph

• 7 months later...

Hi Martin/All

I hope you don't mind me emailing you out of the blue however perhaps you can help me as I am totally new to kayaking (well have kayaking a few times recreationally) and want some advice or ideally to try it out and see if it's for me. I am a mad keen fisherman having fished for over 40 years (course, sea, trout and salmon) but never from a kayak and wonder how I would find a SOT? I am hoping it might be a sport that both my girlfriend and I can enjoy together which combines fishing. Typically I would see it as a touring, camping & fishing ..combined – so I am hoping to find a craft with plenty of storage. I am 6’2” and find some of the traditional sit in Kayaks rather narrow – apparently I have a bigger than normal backside! I looked at a cobra Fish n Dive – does anyone have any thoughts.

Regards

Tim

Hi Rob,

Ive recently taken the plunge and combined the two great sports,having done both for years,only in their

own right. Ive recently sold my expedition kayak and after a 6 month search and trial period.Ive bought an ocean

kayak,prowler 15 trident.

Im a big guy and I like to take a load of kit with me whether im fishing or touring.The trident is a long yet stable

yak,capable of carrying approx 250 Kg. I use the shortest leg adjustment and there must be another 8 inches to

spare ,so I should think it would fine for you.

I live close to you,im at Aberavon beach.If you like,you could come over and take a good look at the yak. I could

also show you where the locals do most of their fishing.

cheers

Martin

Hi Martin/All

I hope you don't mind me emailing you out of the blue however perhaps you can help me as I am totally new to kayaking (well have kayaking a few times recreationally) and want some advice or ideally to try it out and see if it's for me. I am a mad keen fisherman having fished for over 40 years (course, sea, trout and salmon) but never from a kayak and wonder how I would find a SOT? I am hoping it might be a sport that both my girlfriend and I can enjoy together which combines fishing. Typically I would see it as a touring, camping & fishing ..combined – so I am hoping to find a craft with plenty of storage. I am 6’2” and find some of the traditional sit in Kayaks rather narrow – apparently I have a bigger than normal backside! I looked at a cobra Fish n Dive – does anyone have any thoughts.

Regards

Tim

Hi Tim,

Dont worry about size mate ,it sounds like im larger than you. There are several good kayaks which are designed for big guys and all the gear you wish to carry. Ive chosen the ocean kayak trident 15. Its load capacity is great at around250Kgs .Its nearly 16 Ft long so its fast,for a sit on top. Its very stable,wich allows you to concentrate on the fishing.It has several hatches,to stow gear below deck,ie tent etc. I could go on and on,the best thing would be to call around and have a look for yourself,or better still,try it out.

I live very close to the beach at Aberavon and use a trolley to take the kayak to the water. During the summer im normally on the water 4 or5 times a week ,so any time you like your more than welcome to give me a call,and we will sort something out. My E MAIL.........martinphillips007@sky.com

regards martin.