River seasons and trout.

Sheepy

I was wandering down a nice bit of river close to home and spotted a few nice small trout darting about and taking stuff of the surface. Now i know its close season on coarse fish but the trout seasons (brownies anyway) differ dont they? The EA web site said that it was down to the local area and offered no more specific info (im in Leicester). Anyway what im asking is would it be legal for me to pop out to this spot and chuck some fluff for the wee fellas?

Cheers.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It certainly is sheepy. Good fun too!

Paul

It most probably is fishable for trout. It all depends on whether the EA view your river as a viable trout fishery.

For example, the EA view my river(thames)as a viable trout fishery and have no problems with me fly fishing, lure fishing (appropriate size lures) or even worming should I choose to do so. I don't by the way. Give it a go by all means but get an opinion preferably in writing from your local EA office. If its over the phone, get the name of the person giving the advise and write to them confirming their view. I say that because on the thames, the Reading HQ staff are responsible for policy decisions on the river, but dont always let local officers know the score. It happened to me four years ago whilst fishing a private area off the main river which had been declared exempt from the river close season. Nobody told the local gesta..sorry bailiff. He arrived on the scene screaming about legal action, confiscation of rods, death by a thousand cuts etc etc. It transpired that his team leader hadnt properly filled him in. I nearly did :D

[ 03. May 2005, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Is it legal to fish the River Derwent in the close season? On Bank Holiday Monday, there were a great many people float fishing and quiver tipping in full view of the road. I saw a great many more fishing from camp sites next to the river.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

I dont know the Derwent Peter, so its status as a trout river is unknown. However since the EA would not agree that float rods and quiver tips are an acceptable way of catching trout, then probably those fishing the river were doing so illegally.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Its not the type of rod that you use thats defined by the EA just the method. The only legal methods for fishing for trout are worm or fly , no other bait or method can be used before June 16th.

However should those anglers be fishing for trout either with float or quivertip using worm for bait then they are fishing legally. If there are no trout in that section of the river and have never been any then thats a matter for the EA's legal team

You can spin for Trout too outside of the Coarse closed season.

I've personally never heard of the EA actually classifying a river as a 'Trout' river but just have a regional bye-law for when fishing for them can begin. I would have thought that as far as the EA are concerned every single river in England and Wales does or at least potentially could hold trout.

Paul

it is legal to fish the mid to upper reaches of the derbyshire derwent with worms and lures and flys (i used to fish it in the old closedseason)

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve