River seasons and trout.

Sheepy

The stretch I was refering to was between Bullbridge and Matlock. There are campsites either side of Whatstandwell Brisge, where people were blatantly fishing, but you could see somebody fishing almost anywhere where the road ran close to the river. Some even had umbrellas up.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Matthew

The use of maggots as a loose feed even when using worm on the hook is expressley forbidden.

In Northumbria region we could use maggots for trout during the course fish closed season when fishing the River Tees but that changed some three years ago to harmonise all the old regional byelaws to aid trout and salmon stocks. Hardly need to say it but there are some up here who still dont know or choose to ignore the new rule

I suppose it is down to whether it is a trout river or not then? i plan to fly fish for chub in the new season on the stort. there are no trout in the stort (except for the very upper reaches)so if i did it now the EA could say i was fly fishing but as there are no trout in the river they could prosecute ?????

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

I used to carry a copy of the Thames Water Authority by-laws in my fly fishing bag in case of being challenged whilst fly fishing on the Thames backwaters during the coarse close season.

Anyone know if there is a current E.A. version available to download. As far as I understand you can use a fly, spinner or a minnow TRAPPED in the water you are fishing. Didn't know you could use worms.

Who is to say a river is a trout river or not?. Brown Trout are a native species, and one could reasonably expect to find trout anywhere.

Be a bloomin' shame if you caught a clonking great chub on a mayfly this time of year.

Naturally I would take all possible precautions to avoid such an occurrance, and return an illegally caught chub immediately (after photographing it).

Uncle Fester

there are no trout in the stort.

Oddly enough Peter I caught my first trout from the Stort by a railway (?) bridge at Bishops Stortford when I was 11 years old. 3lber on maggot.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

Peter Sharpe:

Is it legal to fish the River Derwent in the close season? On Bank Holiday Monday, there were a great many people float fishing and quiver tipping in full view of the road. I saw a great many more fishing from camp sites next to the river.

if you mean the derbyshire derwent, the two clubs i have books for both state that trout fishing out of season is allowed, only bans are maggots and keepnets. bit slack if you ask me

argyll:

there are no trout in the stort.

Oddly enough Peter I caught my first trout from the Stort by a railway (?) bridge at Bishops Stortford when I was 11 years old. 3lber on maggot.

yes i have heard from anglers who fished the stort for years that trout were common in the stort and sidestreams years ago but not now, some say the building of the M11 upset the ecosystem, others say it is the boats, who knows. still plenty of chub and i want to lose my fly fishing virginity this year, so will give it a go.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Hi all

Up until about 6 years ago years ago, I ledgered worm on the River Derwent in Derby City Center ( the weir) during the closed season and alhough I only had a couple of Brown Trout I caught some cracking chub, and that was because i was told it was ok to do so after ringing the local council, however over the last couple of years on the Basses rec stretch just below the weir I have seen a few foriegn looking chaps fishing with what I can only describe as very heavy trout spinning gear !!!!!,not just in the close season, and once when I rang the EA helpline to ask if they would send somebody to check I was told " we have nobody available, and I am sure they are fishing legally anyway, but thanks for your call" so after that dismissal I say if the local bylaws say it's ok to fish with worm for Trout then why not? By the way in the years I fished the "closed season" I never once caught a fish laden with spawn, although in late june and into july I have, In my opinion the closed season on the rivers is an outdated and useless restriction, so I say get rid, year round fishing does not harm the comercial fisheries at upwards of a fiver a day and sometimes more, nor the Private fisheries for the honoured or lucky few (depending on your opinion), I hope my opinion does not offend anyone.

"We will sit down and discuss it, then decide that I was right in the first place" Brian Clough the best england manager we NEVER had

As I'm sure most will know, I'm a firm advocate of the closed season for coarse fish. However, if Sheepy has seen trout knoking around in the river, he should be OK, if he tries for them on the fly.

A few of my local rivers, have always been OK to fish in the coarse closed season, as long as you use fly fishing techniques, Lures, or use a worm, on a hook above a certain size (there is another rule, which involves fishing for spawing fish, deliberately killing pregnant female fish and disturbing spawning sites etc. The transgressors, will recieve a kick in the goolies from me if I catch them!!!).

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org