How do you fish

The Flying Tench

I misjudged the weather today (believed the wrong website) and just as I left home it started bucketing down. So I headed for a bridge I could sit under with the tip of my feeder rod out in the rain and cast out a maggot feeder into the Kennet. Felt pleased with myself that I was fishing in reasonable comfort, but it wasn't a brilliant swim - just caught a few small dace.

What were the options? - just sit out in the rain and fish regardless - not impossible if you've got rainproof gear, but not much fun with the maggots all crawling out of the bait box, cold wet hands etc etc

Ot there is the fishing brolly. I've never used one! I guess it would keep the maggots dry. But I should imagine it can be quite a problem getting the spike into the ground if the earth is gravelly or stony, and for some reason it sounds a miserable business marching through the pouring rain with a big umbrella and pushing said wet umbrella into the mud!

So what do you do in such conditions? Do you find any type of fishing more viable in the rain than other types?

john clarke

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have fished lots of 'back end' (Sept/Oct) days bouncing down a bunch of worms or spinning for Salmon, simply wear 'chesties' and a good coat, and wide brimmed hat and a shemagh to stop the rain going down the neck. That type of mobile fishin' rules out a brolly. When afloat I either put up with it or get under the cuddy witha deadbait out until it fares up.

for 'sittin' down fishin' (all that 'maggoty stuff') then yes, put a brolly up. they make one feel surprizingly 'cosy' as they keep the wind off too. A decent one will have a sturdy enough spike for you to get it into all but the hardest ground and they have guy ropes and pegs for extra security.

This summer I saw an optimist set out trolling on Derwentwater, his rod clamped between his leg! one hand on the motor the other trying to hold a full size fishin' brolly, he lasted less thwn 5 minutes before his brolly was wrenched from his grip by the wind and his rod was snatched from betwen his legs by a snag (?) both were lost to the lake.

These days if its really chuckin' down I stay at home, there is always 'Mick an Mat' et al on the telly if you really need a fishin' fix.

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

What were the options?
Find the nearest local hostelry with hand pumped beer and an open fire ;)

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

hot mug of coffee, some choccy biccies, my box of lures and some new hooks, paint, varnish or whatever, and discovery realtime extra........perfect wet weather fishing.

Sounds lovely :)

"Some people hear their inner voices with such clarity that they live by what they hear, such people go crazy, but they become legends"

hot mug of coffee, some choccy biccies, my box of lures and some new hooks, paint, varnish or whatever, and discovery realtime extra........perfect wet weather fishing.
That'd do me too. Welcome aboard BTW.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

You've given me the notion for a cuppa and a handful of choccy biscuits before I go to sleep.

I tend to hide under my brolly like the world is going to end..... :unsure:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Sundridge thermal boots, Sundridge bib and brace and Sundridge jacket. Spent many happy hours after barbel with that lot on :) You can also add a JRC stealth brolly well pegged down, you can face any weather like that :)

Main problem I have is my glasses get steamed up...........

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

What Den said (especially the Stealth Brolly - best bit of kit I've ever bought). For mobile fishing on a river, though (especially with lightweight summer waterproofs), there seems little alternative to getting wet eventually. And it *is* miserable. If I think there's any chance of heavy rain I tend to head for a stillwater so I can depend on the Stealth (which is big enough to keep all my gear and bait dry as well).