fishing kayak

JONNYX

hi

has anyone here used a kayak for fishing?

i'm thinking of getting something for use around the lizard, helford river and manacles(with a mother ship). i used to kayak a lot of white water so my paddling technique is good but i'm a bit stuck as to which boat to go for.

any ideas? :confused:

easier with a canoe ,you can find your disgorger when you drop it

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

JONNYX:

hi

I have been thinking about the same thing, inshore for Bass.

An out rigger would be a big help and a good life jacket :)

I have also done some white water kyaking so am happy with being able to handle it, trouble is Sonja says I am too bloody old :(

Take care and let us know how it goes,

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

ah yeh we gave this a shot in the summer...i recommend a short rod. I picked up a £30 6ft light abu boat rod combo, which works a treat.

http://www.oceankayak.com/products/scramblerxt.html

thats what we use...super stable (the xt is wider and more stable than the normal scrambler, you may sit lower as well which helps), you could with some effort stand in it (but not cast unless you have balance like a cat)...you sit in it and sort of on it, but unlike a canoe it doesnt seal you in, which means you will get wet in surf (wetsuit time or whatever you like in the summer) but you dont need to know how to eskimo roll, so if you wear a jacket and have someone with you there's not many places it cant go. You can jump out and get back in with ease, which makes those caught short moments at sea easier.

It will quite happily take on a 4ft face wave so its fun as well. I would happily go out in very rough seas on one for fun, if the wind wasnt present. There is a keel moulded at the back, so although its less likely to turn it holds its line well. Theres even room at the back for a dive bottle or wet bag, or for your catch.

Theres drain holes that you can stuff a rod vertical in and just lazily amble about with a spinner and pick up some mackerel for lunch if you like. Or you can just cast or drift...

They are heavy though, and require more effort than a normal kayak (which most people call canoes), but they stack, so if you have a strong roofrack and keep to a reasonable speed in the car you can take 2 to quite some way before lauching them.

A back rest is almost essential, leg straps optional...a good paddle is worth the money, makes crusing easier.

You can cover quite some ground in them, and i've found that the problem of eskimo rolls removed gives you much greater freedom and confidence. No outrigger required.

But you will need to be a bit organised with your gear, and a few bits of nylon around things you dont want to lose is advisable, just in case they fall out, fall through the drain holes.

I lent one to a friend one day in the summer, he did bournemouth beach, through poole harbour entrance, up to wareham and back again in a day.

Norrie:

trouble is Sonja says I am too bloody old

Think I would listen to Sonja, she knows what shes talking about old son. :D:D

At least she knows me, where as your Mrs did'nt even know where you were "fishing". Just wish I could get away with that :cool:

And whats this crap about you stripping out the cabin on Catchalot, when I phoned you :confused: , I spike to Davy and evidently you were still sound O in the caravan :P

Nite mate :D

Alan :P

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Hiya, It was my daughter you spoke to... :rolleyes: The wife was at work.. :rolleyes: I did all my work on Saturday,(i.e.stripping out the cabin) therefore had a wee night in the club ,and was having a lie in when you phoned... :D:D as you do...after all it was Sunday. :rolleyes:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Hi

I use a Dagger Frolic, really stable, but at 10 foot, shorter than the Scrambler XT.

Not had any problems with the Frolic, although it hasn't got the hatches/storage space of some of the others.

When I replace it I'll go for the Cobra Fish 'n' Dive, which is a really spacious yak.

I think a decent seat is a must, and a rod holder.

Check out some of the American Kayak Fishing sites thru Google.

Don

Go to http://www.google.com

Select the 'Groups' tab

Enter 'kayak group:uk.rec.fishing.sea' to the search

There was a guy on that newsgroup that go into fishing from a kayak, trolling for bass mackerel etc.

Seemed quite an interesting way to fish and explore.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust