Winfield Tackle.

Peter Waller

Welcome Slodger.On the subject of firsts my first Sea rod was a Winfeild Surfcaster.Massive cork handle,fold down but ring and a blue laquered finnish.Also caught one of my first double figure pike on it and an ABU Salar spoon at 16lb.This model of rod in later years became quite a cult piece of kit for Bass anglers ysing peeler crab!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my first kit was from woolies - blimey! - it was about 6' long, yellow with red fittings - had a fixed spool reel already attched that had a bell on it...so it made a nice sound when you reeled in!....think it's still in the shed too....

Caught my first fish with that rod, yep, a very small stupid Perch

:)

good thread!

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

My first was also a 7' solid glass bright yellow wollies job with a plastic center pin. Took me quite a white to catch my fist fish from Crystal Palace boating lake in the 60's, and only after a guy gave me a size 18 hook and told me to use a single maggot. Until then I had used size 10's or thereabouts with a as many maggots as would fit. The rest is history, now'er day's my angling feats have made me reknown . . Um, in my own home.

Andrew Boyd

Pike Step by Step is a very useful and practical book, especially for the novice piker as it's basically a series of how to do it pictures with extended captions. I usually sell copies for around £11 including postage. In fact I've just bought a copy as part of a collection of pike books, although I haven't yet put it up on Classic Fishing Books.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Boyd:

[QB] and only after a guy gave me a size 18 hook and told me to use a single maggot.]

Hear,hear God bless all of those old men who after we watched them hauling fish in gave us the best tip of all -the size 18 to 1.5 bottom and the single maggot! A major turning point for many of us I would bet?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

'Hear,hear God bless all of those old men who after we watched them hauling fish in gave us the best tip of all -the size 18 to 1.5 bottom and the single maggot! A major turning point for many of us I would bet?'

Spot on Budgie, and thanks for the welcome.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'

Crystal Palace boating lake, plus the concrete dinosaurs, has been cleaned up in recent years. Only major problem - no angling allowed any more.

Must be a PC Bromley Council parks department quoting insurance premiums etc. Wonder round the lake now in summer you see any number of Carp basking.

Old men handing out size 18's would now be viewed with suspicion.

Andrew Boyd

Crystal Palace Boating Lake is where I caught my fist big perch. These came in the early 60s on deadbaits in the margins at dusk. I can't be certain of the size as the old boy who taught me always said "just under two pounds" whatever the size!

Memories.... :)

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

we always left before dusk ,the bus to bromley being the reason ,those boaters used to be a problem though.

i remember one day fishing at the end with the monster in the water a boy next to me having his reel fall off his rod on casting,trying to pull it back out of the lake by the line he pulled in many yards of line before finding his knot on the spool didnt hold ,i suspect the reel is there to this day :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

chesters1:

the bus to bromley  

No 227?