FIRST FISHING TRIP FOR THE LITTLE LAD

Houghton

Hello,

My little boy (he's only 4) has been pestering me to take him fishing for ages now. I know he's only young but he is dying to go.

Can anybody give me any tips on taking a little lad on his first fishing trip?

Hello,

My little boy (he's only 4) has been pestering me to take him fishing for ages now. I know he's only young but he is dying to go.

Can anybody give me any tips on taking a little lad on his first fishing trip?

Go on a warm, dry day and go for just a few hours to a well stocked water where he'll DEFINITELY catch.

In plan to do the same with my little girl when it warms up a bit. :)

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

when i first started my uncle bought me a cheap outfit and used to let me set up with a small float fishing a few inches deep next to the lilys for little roach, perch, minnows and anything else under 6 inches long, even now on hot days i cant restist half an hours "tiddler bashing"

What Elton said definitely. Show him how to get the float out and then hand him the reins. Then don't interfere unless he asks. If he is anything like my daughter he'll have loads of questions anyway. Above all be patient- it's supposed to be fun :)

Edited by Jeff S

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Went through the same process with my son 5 years ago,

I took him to the local canal, (full of small roach and rudd). I didn't fish myself, set him up with a simple waggler and cast out for him. that's the easy part.

I'd let him catch a few then pack up and go home... while he was still catching don't wait for the bites to dry up. tears temper tantrums the lot. BUT he was desperate to go the next time.

He's progressed a little since then and we do a bit of everything. he's going for the Bream tomorrow! season before last saw us carp fish a small gravel pit. the place gets a little busy at the weekend so theres quite a few people mulling about. anyway his indicator lifts and he's in played it like a pro I did the business with the net, but the plus for me was he didn't panic even with at least 20 people behind him. It was a Common of 12.09, he caught a 14.02 a couple of hours later.... I blanked!

He's almost 10 now, and he's caught some nice fish, a few double figure carp, tench over 5 bream over 7 and a roach from the Severn that I dread to think how big it was (forgot my scales). I've caught roach to a little over three - his was huge.

We do fish for the bigger fish occasionally and not just carp, he's been showing me how to lure fish all winter! but there's nothing to beat just just sitting on the bank with a float rod each fishing for bits on a summers evening.

PAC RO - Birmingham Region 1 www.Brum-Pikers.co.uk

Internet Officer - National Anguilla Club www.nationalanguillaclub.co.uk

Very Average Blog - www.PredatorAngling.co.uk

Don't forget to engage the anti reverse on the reel.

A little-un winding the wrong way can create a total birdsnest faster than you can react to stop it.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Maybe starrt out with a 4 -5 mtr whip ? Take the mechanics of a reel out of it until they're confident with the pole . For a small child , its so much easier for them to use the pole....and a lot less tangles/probs for yourself .

Maybe starrt out with a 4 -5 mtr whip ? Take the mechanics of a reel out of it until they're confident with the pole . For a small child , its so much easier for them to use the pole....and a lot less tangles/probs for yourself .

Certainly agree, a 4/5m whip is the way to go with youngsters, my boy (8now started at 5) really struggled with a rod 'n reel, once we bought him a whip he was fishing almost completing unaided after a couple of sessions. Although I'm not taking him anymore as he beat me 9-2 this afternoon. :P

Mat

Mat

Yep, start him with a whip (or better still a bush pole!)

That's how I started my children and grandchildren.

Don't fish yourself, concentrate on building a feeding frenzy in front of him with continuous (but sparse) loose feed.

Get him looking for the swirls the fish make as they go for the loose feed - its never too early to start learning some watercraft.

...and just let him fish for a couple of hours at most.

Tell us how it went

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...