'05 mullet season

Jim Gibbinson

As a matter of interest, how have other mullet anglers got on during the summer? I've fished hard and often this year (Medway estuary), yet caught only eight fish (5 in June, 2 in July, 1 in August, 0 in Sept, and 0 thus far for October). Previous four years, for a similar amount of fishing, I've averaged about 20.

I've not yet quite thrown in the towel, but I'm getting close to doing so.

Hi Jim.

This was my first year trying to hook and land Mullet off our marina pontoon.

Manage 7 fish weighing between 3 and 5 lb, from June until August, wife caught a 6.3lb fish, then rubbed it in that women made better anglers.

Tried all the tricks and gizmo's to tempt them to feed, a waste of time as all 7 + the wifes ended up being caught on floating bread as they swam around just beneath the surface.

All were caught about two hours after the first Ebb tide. Most of the time the fish just kept swimming around chasing each other and ignoring the baits.

Also once a fish was hooked, it seemed as if the rest vanished out of sight for a couple of days before they started to appear again.

Hi jim season started late for me as the fish did not seem here at the normal times of previous years, then i started to catch one or two mostly small fish around the pound mark it was though hit and miss and rather strange things where happening , some days where completely barron ie, no sign of fish even though the conditions would be perfect and then other days a few signs of fish resulting in bites and one or two captures.

It was'nt until i was notified by fellow club members and then a press release that a group of guys had been caught setting nets illegaly from the beach that the odd happenings i was having with somedays appearing completely barron and others days with a few fish, started to make some sence, anyway the day the local fisheries officer caught these gentlemen in the act, the net had only been set for half an hour but in that time they found 20 mullet in it some to 8lb and over, i shudder to think how many mullet have been taken through out the summer from here this year by these pratts.

Somehow though jim i did manage a fish of 6.75lb and my nephew had one of just over 7lb, as previous years go not so many in quantity but a few of the bigger ones did come to the net, ive hung up the mullet rods now this year but i am wondering if they will ever be used at one of my favourite marks next year, because as i speak these morons will continue there practice of emptying this area of mullet legaly now" as the byelaw that they were breaking ran out on the 30th of september, and these fish hang around most years until mid november.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Jim Gibbinson:

As a matter of interest, how have other mullet anglers got on during the summer? I've fished hard and often this year (Medway estuary), yet caught only eight fish (5 in June, 2 in July, 1 in August, 0 in Sept, and 0 thus far for October). Previous four years, for a similar amount of fishing, I've averaged about 20.

I've not yet quite thrown in the towel, but I'm getting close to doing so.

:cool: One of the best years I can remember for larger than average mullet. I had a PB of 7lbs, several over 4lbs and 2 over 5lbs, plus the ones that got away. Lots of bass in with the mullet, sometimes more bass than mullet. Definately a lack of 'run of the mill' 2-3lb ers though. :D

• 3 weeks later...

B)-->

QUOTE(Norm B @ Oct 8 2005, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:cool: One of the best years I can remember for larger than average mullet. I had a PB of 7lbs, several over 4lbs and 2 over 5lbs, plus the ones that got away. Lots of bass in with the mullet, sometimes more bass than mullet. Definately a lack of 'run of the mill' 2-3lb ers though. :D

I had 4, had two 3lbers, a 3lb 8oz and a 5lb 12oz.

Hia's All

A big fat zero for me even Spain was a washout due to licence problems.

Next year fewer Folk and Morris seessions and more mullet and salt waterfFly-fishing for me.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Norm B @ Oct 8 2005, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

I had 4, had two 3lbers, a 3lb 8oz and a 5lb 12oz.

:lol: It's not over yet, still plenty of bigger fish being caught here. ;)

Tony, did I read that correctly, "folk and morris sessions"? Do you mean "morris" as in morris dancing? You do know it's wrong, don't you?

Anyway...... yesterday I had what will positively, definitely, categorically be my last mullet trip of the year. Loads of lip-marks on the mud, but I'm 99.9% convinced they are due to thinlips. The only mullet I've seen on my last couple of trips have been herring-size.

Why my repertoire of Medway estuary venues should have been so devoid of thicklips this year, I don't know. It's been a hard season. June started well, early July was okay - but from thereon it's been dire. I was convinced there would be a late run in September/early October (as in 03 and 04), but it didn't happen. So the mullet tackle is about tobe mothballed, and I'll look forward to a long, cold (if the forecasters have got it right) winter with carp, roach and chub.

great season.

cold up here now so they are not worth the effort, that's if you could see them for all the spate water in the rivers.

12 in 2 sessions last week. cheating though as i was in southern spain.

at home i've had 11 up to 6lb 7oz.

i haven't really fished at home for a few years and had forgotten how much fun they were. watch out next year as i have invested in new gear and i'm desperate to christen it .

Tony, did I read that correctly, "folk and morris sessions"? Do you mean "morris" as in morris dancing? You do know it's wrong, don't you?

I know the Betjeman quote Jim, but yes its true I belong to Bishop Gundulfs Morris, though technically I am a (or is that we are), Sword Dancer(s), no hankies, bells or sticks for me just a three fooot longsword.

We are actually quiite a good side and you can see us at Rochester Sweeps Festival every year and in assorted Public houses around Medway and North Kent.

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.