Continuous beeping?

Dan

Hiya, my son just called from Uni in London, he has a fujitsu Amilo laptop pi 1505. It beeps really loudly with a series of regular short beeps after the fujitsu logo comes up but beore windows starts. After a while it then starts as normal. He tried a system restore but it couldnt do it. Any suggestions where we should look for an answer? it was only a cheapy, and isnt worth spending much money on (he is backing his work up daily!)

Someone said BIOS codes but I have no idea where to start!

Cheers

Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

You should be able to google the info although a good manual (hopefully one came with the PC) will have the info as well. AKA beep codes.

They normally happen when a PC will not fully start though and are designed to tell you a piece of hardware is fried before you can get far enough along to run diagnostics.

Have him turn of system restore and then start it again. The current file is evidently hosed and worthless and this process will remove it and give a fresh one to work with.

What OS is it running?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Newt. Its running XP, being a wonderful uk PC it comes with virtually no documentation, Fujitsu want the serial number to provide info and that has worn off! I've sent him a link to some software that will get the serial number out of the PC. I was looking to see what BIOS it's operating but will have to wait his investigations with the serial number.

Will do as you suggest on system restore.

Cheers Newt

Dan

He might benefit from the info that the free Belarc Advisor offers. It is a smallish download. BIOS details are among the items it displays.

If it is a hardware issue, that will need fixing or simply accepting the fact that you have an impending failure.

A thing I would try (to correct software and file system glitches) is to open a command window (start > run > cmd and GO) then key in chkdsk /f (note the space after chkdsk) and ENTER. When told the operation can't be done just now, answer Yes to doing it at next reboot the reboot.

The repair process will begin automatically and should not take long. 5 minutes to a half hour and this process is basically harmless.

If no luck, a more extensive repair may help but if enough files are damaged can result in an unbootable system. I've had that happen twice in a few hundred repair runs on servers. Similar to the above but with /r rather than /f so chkdsk /r and this one will take quite a bit longer to complete.

The two systems that were trashed were in such bad shape that they really needed a software reload anyway but they did struggle along after a fashion until the 'repair'.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

one of the most common causes of the beeps is memory ! being a laptop the memory might not be sitting in its holder properly ,its easy enough to check by turning the laptop upside down ,there will be a number of hatch covers with tiny retaining screwsn,remove the memory one,if not labled ,take pot luck .and make sure its fully home and secure ,chech the Hd is secure as well (usually its secured by another tiny screw).

its worth a check just too be sure something simply isn't to blame.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

occasionally (and laptops have become more fiddle friendly over the years) just lifting the keyboard may reveal its guts ,as said bios beeps have a common interpretations ,your continuous beeps maybe recurring 3 beeps or a whole list of beeps these lead you to where the fault lies ,theres only a limited number of bios makers his will be displayed on boot i expect.

whilst he's playing in its guts check the fans are clean they barely work anyway if fitted.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

For me the WORD is FUJITSU!! Bloody terrible company to deal with! i bought a Fujitsu HD and this was sold around 3 months AFTER a major fault was found with the drives. BUT would they honour the warranty?? Could you suck your own nose??? NOT a hope in hell!!

Best of luck with it Dan!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Ok tried restoring again, still no joy. Check disc starts and then finishes saying cancelled.

Belarc says this:

Computer Profile Summary

Computer Name: Laptop (in WORKGROUP) — Charlies Laptop

Profile Date: 15 November 2008 20:18:45

Advisor Version: 7.2x

Windows Logon: Charlie

Operating System Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

System Model FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO Pi 1505

System Serial Number: 50405EE22D

Chassis Serial Number: 00030D0050013CEF

Enclosure Type: Notebook

Processor a Main Circuit Board b

1.60 gigahertz Intel Core Duo

64 kilobyte primary memory cache

2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: FUJITSU SIEMENS AMILO Pi 1505

BIOS: FUJITSU SIEMENS 1.02C 06/22/06

Drives Memory Modules c,d

40.00 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

9.90 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PHILIPS DVD+-RW SDVD8820 [CD-ROM drive]

FUJITSU MHV2040BH [Hard drive] (40.01 GB) -- drive 0 1016 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'M1' has 512 MB

Slot 'M2' has 512 MB

Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 40.00 GB 9.90 GB free

Network Drives None detected

Users (mouse over user name for details)

Printers

local user accounts

last logon Charlie 15/11/2008 20:14:15 (admin)

local system accounts

Administrator never

(admin)

Guest never

HelpAssistant never

SUPPORT_388945a0 never

DISABLED Marks a disabled account; LOCKED OUT Marks a locked account

Brother DCP-115C USB Printer on USB002

EPSON Stylus DX5000 Series on USB001

Lexmark Z600 Series on USB001

Microsoft Office Document Image Writer Driver on Microsoft Document Imaging Writer Port:

Microsoft Shared Fax Driver on SHRFAX:

PaperPort Color Printer Driver on BIPORT

PaperPort Mono Printer Driver on BIPORT

Controllers Display

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF

Intel® 82801GBM SATA AHCI Controller

Primary IDE Channel [Controller] Mobile Intel® 945GM Express Chipset Family [Display adapter] (2x)

CPT 15.4 [Monitor] (15.4"vis, July 2006)

Bus Adapters Multimedia

O2Micro Integrated MMC/SD Controller

O2Micro Integrated MS/MSPRO Controller

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C8

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27C9

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CA

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB Universal Host Controller - 27CB

Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 27CC Realtek High Definition Audio

Communications Other Devices

Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem

1394 Net Adapter

Intel® PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.0.4 / 24

Gateway: 192.168.0.1

Dhcp Server: 192.168.0.1

Physical Address: 00:13:02:70:3C:53

Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC

Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.254

Physical Address: 00:03:0D:49:02:6E

Networking Dns Server: 192.168.0.1

OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Microsoft AC Adapter

Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery

Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

PS/2 Compatible Mouse

USB Root Hub (5x)

Nokia 6500s-1

Virus Protection [back to Top]

AVG Anti-Virus Free Version 8.0

Realtime File Scanning On

If that helps at all?!

Found this on another forum and it backs up the earlier suggestions about reseating and cleaning

I had the same problem on my Lifebook S6231. Turns out that after I took it in, no parts needed to be replaced. They reseated the memory modules and reseated the fan and cleared debris from the vent for preventive maintenance. According to them, it gets "clogged" after a couple years and just needs to be cleaned out...but now it should be good for another couple. Had to pay $120 for the diagnostic/labor. Glad to have my laptop back!

Also I think I would try removing the battery and starting it from A/C power only. A hinky battery can cause some odd problems and this is an easy way to rule that out.

Ok, somewhat embarrassed we have found the problem, at least we think so, and all curtesy of Fuitsu's help line. They thought it might be a stuck key!! So after cleaning them up a bit and making sure they all loose the bleeping has stopped (for now anyway!).

Thanks for your help anyway and goes to show that sometimes the problems aren't always the big ones!

Dan