Spur-Hound

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found this on the boat when googling but can't see a date on it :(

http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticl...rticleID=873609

part of the article says....

The new call for a ban came as the Grimsby fishing community prepared to welcome a new longliner to its fleet. The Grimsby-registered Apollo is being officially named at a ceremony at Grimsby Fish Dock on Friday, following a refit in Hull.

Mr Hancock said the Apollo replaced another fishing vessel the Silver Stream, which was lost in a fire this June, and £1.5m was being invested in the Apollo and its sister ship, Genesis, which will be catching mainly dogfish, ling, skate and conger eel, with cod making up less than half of one percent of the catch. He said he would not be investing if he did not believe there was a future in fishing

scrabster survivor and official loony

www.tugmistress.co.uk

Life can't get better than this!

www.save-our-sharks.org

i stand corrected, there is an appolo liner and trawler and they both have been into scrabster. Sorry shaun.

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

quote:

but boatsize has nothing to do with whether the target species is for human consumtion or not some of the largest boats fish for fishmeal, and its very viable. [/QB]
Fair comment Thurso; what i meant was it would be uneconomic for a large boat to longline for fishmeal as they'd never catch enough to make it pay.

Shaun, as Argyll says it is, or certainly used to be, sold on as rock salmon. No idea if thats where it all ends up these days, given how international the seafish trade has become. There used to be some pretty huge landings of spurdogs from the west coast during the 80's, mainly by the last of the big, company owned, stern trawlers. I'd guess that far fewer boats are after them these days.

Can't remember anyone lining for them back then though; not in the north of Scotland anyway. I have read that the Irish sea liners targeted the females and also about a huge longline fishery by the Norwegians. Anyone know if the Norwegian fishery is still healthy? if so, were their different techniques/rules whatever between what was happening in the Irish sea and off Norway?

Thats the article I read tuggs; sure it gave the date as 2005 somewhere in the first couple of paragraphs.

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Just remembered about the longliner 'cos last year there was some longlining activity spotted by anglers in the firth of Lorne and the sound of Mull, a few years back the very same Grimsby boat near enough wiped one of the more productive sea lochs on the West coast of Spurs, although thankfully not totaly.

Tight Lines

Shaun

i stand corrected, there is an appolo liner and trawler and they both have been into scrabster. Sorry shaun.

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Quote "375 kg on one line He shoots several lines at a time so a tonne

of spurs a day or more"

Not so good is it, better enjoy them while we can"

I thought long lineing was considerd eco friendly,

not condeming fishermen for catching fish again? Tut tut what ever next.

I fish to live and live to fish.