Longliner in the Pentland Firth

Spur-Hound

shaun

the loch in question may as well be dead as its now full of 2-4lb fish. the seasonal run of bigger females is just starting and a 10lb fish will be regarded as a specimen. not long ago 10lb fish were the norm and that wasn't 25 years ago that was 4 years ago. 2-4lb fish are fine but not from 100m.

god help us if they decimate another loch which they will sonner rather than later.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi all

sad days ahead for your areas it seems! here on the isle of man used to be brilliant for spurdog fishing both of the boats and of the western beaches at this time of year, but about ten years ago word got round and five cornish longliners came up and fished for two autumns and raped our waters, they were each using ten lines of three miles long and made serious money.

now it is barren to the extent that i have not caught a spur for six years! manxman will probably confirm his lack of catches also..something needs to be done but it is all legal so the picture is bleak for other areas..

pity there is no market for lsd's as we have them here in plague preportions!!

I was chating to one of the older locals after I had caught my first LSD earlier in the year, he reckoned they used to longline around Orkney and up in Shetland for Spurdogs for sale as Rock Salmon.

This would have been in the sixties. At the same time I was a young lad in London eating the very same fish with my chips.

Bob

Yes in batter and wrapped in newspaper with plenty of Salt and Vin (I am getting hungry just typing this). It has a very nice taste.

Cod was top of the list with Plaice second and Rock as number three. The big advantage of Rock Salmon is the lack of bones. You had a large bone/cartalidge/spine through the middle but you could eat it if you wanted to as it was quite soft.

It was only when I moved to Lincoln in the 80's that I discovered Haddock and Chips and thats what is eaten up here as well, so I doubt I have tasted Rock Salmon for 30 years.

When me mum died her relatives came down from Newcastle for the funeral and we all went for fish and chips, they were duboius about trying a London chippy (Funny folk them Geordies) but one of them was brave and tried Rock and he was very surprised that he actually liked it.

Bob