Mullet Watch 2004

Chippy

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't see that one Graham, but I've just uploaded a piccy of a 9lber on the NMC website gallery page, which was caught recently.

I saw my first 6lber in the flesh the other day a really thick beasty....unfortunatly not caught by me though!!

[ 21. September 2004, 03:59 PM: Message edited by: Chippy ]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sslatter

An odd session this evening. I was fishing a mark that's been dredged to enable a sewage boat to pick up and turn around, so it's a good spot for a spring low, because there's always a good four feet of water at the worst of times.

So there I was float-legering as per usual,in water 4-5 feet deep, and for an hour and a half, no bites at all.. no signs of any fish.. nothing.

As the light faded I switched to a quivertip, cast out to where I'd been float-legering, and immediately had a bite- a small bass. Next cast, the same thing. I couldn't believe that the fish had just turned up as I switched rods, so I recast the float leger to the same spot to see if I could now get bites on the float, and.. nothing. So I cast out the leger rig to the same spot again, and immediately had an unmissable bite- another mini bass.

Let me add that the two end rigs of each rod were both the same, 1 swan+1AAA 10" from the size 8 hook, with a BB 4" from the hook, with a piece of crust "popped-up" as it were.. the only difference between the rods was that one had a float on the line, and the other didn't.. and it was the one without that they were hitting..

Which all makes me think that it must have been something about the sight of the float in that particular spot that the fish didn't like.. odd.

Anyway, there are still plenty of mullet about on my local estuary (and thousands of mini bass too).