Chenille for closed face reel spools

tincatinca

I have a few spools on various closed face reels where the chenille could do with replacing replacing and having searched the internet cannot find anything other than one reference on e-bay which is a spare part for an ABU 506. The spools I want to refurbish are bigger, more like the 507. Does anyone know where a it or a sutable alternative can be obtained from.

Thanks

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think i got my last lot from tesco's ,from the kids art & craft supplies section ,and i've found it in pound shops again in kiddie crafts

A good tobaconist should have both long and standard pipe cleaners you could use.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

Will it stop (or even alleviate) my tangles? ....especially the loops around the little knobbly thing that guides the line off the spool and out (which probably has some exotic foreign name on a par with chenille too)?

Its been a few years (20) since ive had one, but youve got me scratching my head as i dont remember anything guiding the line off the spool. Do you mean the pin that winds it on the spool?

Edited by lutra

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

It does that too...

I'll do some research when I next have a min and get the proper names... I saw an exploded diagram of a 501 on a forum the other day that will help.

So far I've found a closed face reel less useful than a centrepin... with a lot of time spent with both untangling stuff. I will persevere though as a closed face reel seems pretty useless for trotting.

MC

The pin should go in out the way of the line when you press the edge of the black disk on top of the reel when casting?

ah... I've been casting like i would with a centrepin... ok... I really need to find that tutorial then. The reel did not come with instructions and I've not noticed a "black disk".

MC

501's are great reels, you just need to find your way round it.

By the way if you turn the handle the pin comes back out.

Will it stop (or even alleviate) my tangles? ....especially the loops around the little knobbly thing that guides the line off the spool and out (which probably has some exotic foreign name on a par with chenille too)?

uumm ,????? .

is the knobbly thing in this picture

DSC00098.jpg

(errrr notice that nice pink chenille on the spool ,thats tesco's finest that is )

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I had the same problem replacing the chenille on my 123M, the only person that i found to help was the Reel Doctor, he supplied me with exchange spools, i am sure he would supply the chenille give him a call.

http://thereeldoctor.co.uk/2.html

PS. I tried all types of pipe cleaners they were all to large.

Edited by medwaygreen

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

This may be no use at all (I know nothing about closed face reels) but you can get chenille for fly tying easily enough, if that's the same stuff you mean?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music