Chenille for closed face reel spools

tincatinca

i bought some from my tackle shop ,it was a "spare" for several reels at one time including some abu closed face reel spools

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the responses. Just got back after searching Tesco, Asda, QD and Woolworths. Unfortunately the pipe cleaners are too big and the the only things I found of the right size that may be of use were little bracelet type things but they are elasticated. I will have a ring round some of the local tackle shops and also check out the craft shops.

MC, Ebay has some Item number: 130262487046. Will cost you £4 per spool.

I used to have some spare, it comes in 7" or8" lengths, enough for one spool.

You say you have to backwind to feed line, why can't you press the line release button and let line off between your finger tips as you would a fixed spool?

I am sure there is another answer to the chenille, I will do a search on AN, as it has been discussed before.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Crikey. Thanks very much indeed. BTW. I am now the proud owner of that StrikeRight centrepin you pointed out on eBay. It should arrive with me tomorrow with a bit of luck.

The knobbly thing is right at the back of the inner spool part (back right of your photo). It is attached to some sort of mechanism that is shown in your diagram which, due to the comment below I now believe will be responsible for retracting the little knobbly thing for casting. I'll give it a try this evening.

My problem seems to be that line is not pulled off the reel like it is on a centrepin so I have to unwind (backwind?) the reel as the float moves away from me. This can easily lead to over-winding which results in the line being wrapped around the little knobbly thing. Then it gets really messy.

i couldn't find the word doc ,so i've knocked up a quick guide ,it will mostly be bias'ed towards the abu 500 series .

http://anglerstalk.yuku.com/topic/3755

as i still have all the photo's on photobucket ,i'll be adding too it and refinning it ,I've to add the spool capacities and types for the abu 500 series ,there will be some abu modifications and servicing notes plus parts lists & manual downloads and contacts etc.

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

chenille wise ,my local tesco's has it in called " fuzzy sticks " at £1..50 a pack of verious colours .

on the old metal standard spools ,i've glued on a felt ring to the underside with a 1-2mm overlap (cut down to fit) and it used to be common practice to glue 1" strips of 20+lb mono equally spaced all around the bottom of the spools with a 1-2mm overlap or cut to fit .

cut-bed.gif

if you struggle to find any chenille i'll get some from tesco's and make sure it fits ,then i'll send some out to who wants it ,i might even take pictures to add too my guide.

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

Here's another ebay link..

Item number: 220309128226

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

MC, Ebay has some Item number: 130262487046. Will cost you £4 per spool.

I used to have some spare, it comes in 7" or8" lengths, enough for one spool.

You say you have to backwind to feed line, why can't you press the line release button and let line off between your finger tips as you would a fixed spool?

I am sure there is another answer to the chenille, I will do a search on AN, as it has been discussed before.

Den

if you have to backwind it sounds like a french closed face the luxor or crack? contact

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

he,s got a abu 501 (without the anti-reverse pawl) ,the other explanation is that the pins arn't retracting properly or he's not found the big black button on the front .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

just done a e-bay search for fuzzy sticks ,and there you go ,in the mixed baga are some strait chenille

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

he,s got a abu 501 (without the anti-reverse pawl) ,the other explanation is that the pins arn't retracting properly or he's not found the big black button on the front .

ahh perhaps the spools coming loose rather than its backwind to release line ,my 501 (i'v mentioned it before) has a anti reverse pawl ,perhaps the lug was left as part of the design but not needed in the backwind 501 and some previous owner popped one in ,i must say i prefer it not back winding ,the 1044 has the option of either by a switch but i always use it in anti reverse mode ,iv never had any problem with the clutch crude as it is in them and the -50% feature.

as i am used to having anti reverse i find the knuckle bashing of the handle going backwards annoying on striking a decent fish

Edited by chesters1