Chenille for closed face reel spools

tincatinca

this i've just added to the previous guide ,its a picturial guide to changing the chenille .

http://anglerstalk.yuku.com/reply/33510/t/...tml#reply-33510

simon

on the old metal spools there is no channel so a alternative arrangement is needed as previously stated the problem of preventing line slipping under the spool is to use some thick line (20lb + ) and glue 1" strips to the underside of the old plain spools at regular intervals overlapping the edge & cut to fit

cut-bed.gif

Hi Chavender, I've just had a look at the link in your post. The chenille you are using there is quite thick, here's a photo of the stuff I used.

DSC00027.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oooo0000 shiny spools ,the spools look great ,yeh that stuff looks more like the origanal stuff and no need to trim ,i used the tesco stuff because i saw it in passing and thought that'd do and it fitted so was ok at a pinch as i only had one bit to change, then ,

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

oooo0000 shiny spools ,the spools look great ,yeh that stuff looks more like the origanal stuff and no need to trim ,i used the tesco stuff because i saw it in passing and thought that'd do and it fitted so was ok at a pinch as i only had one bit to change, then ,

The spools aren't finished yet as they need some holes drilled and the grooves need to be a bit deeper so the chenille isn't quite so proud. I made a few but had a few more that I didn't get round to finishing as I started making the c/pins.

are they all for the 501's-506's or have you any up your sleave for the mk1 507/8's !

and talking of centrepins ,andy you won't beleave what evil & nasty thing i done to a okuma kennet , http://centrepins.yuku.com/topic/374?page=-1

i butchered it ,in the name of science & curiosity you understand . works a treat

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

Hi Chavender, I've just had a look at the link in your post. The chenille you are using there is quite thick, here's a photo of the stuff I used.

DSC00027.jpg

Jigottai,

That looks great. Have just found this site on the net and ordered the whole stock of 2mm red. (all of 13 metres) but if it is ok I will quite happily donate some to others who need it.

http://www.abigailsminiatures.co.uk/cart.p...imageField.y=16

are they all for the 501's-506's or have you any up your sleave for the mk1 507/8's !

and talking of centrepins ,andy you won't beleave what evil & nasty thing i done to a okuma kennet , http://centrepins.yuku.com/topic/374?page=-1

i butchered it ,in the name of science & curiosity you understand . works a treat

I'm not sure if they will fit the 501 as I made them to fit my 506. None made for the 507/508 I'm afraid, but if there was a demand and someone lent me a reel maybe I could do something.

Is the line guard on your Okuma how you want it on your AN pin?

Tincatinca, that stuff looks just the job. Let me know how you get on with it.

yes ,something like that'll do but removable

roughly covering points A - B

walliscastingcompatablelineguard.jpg

the 506 spools do fit the 501,503,505 as they're all the same size ,but some times you need a thin washer putting under the centre boss

DSC00108-1.jpg

i'll send you my 507 in the new year ,i know quite a few who use abu 500's inc 507/8 mainly for grayling fishing ,theres usually one or two who ask about spools .

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

theres two holes ,ones used the other is a spare & although theres room for two pins ,most reels only come with one fitted as standard (later 704's where fitted with both ) but some people fit another ,its thought to increase the line pick up time .On reels with 1 pin ,it could take nearly one revolution of the winding cup before the pin comes into contact with the line ,two pins half this time taken ,but its only moments and not really necessary ,in fact the later 704 version had two pins fitted as standard but it gave wise to problems of the pins not retracting properly ,so people removed one of the pins which solved the problem .

one pin is all you need .

there is a common problem that can occour .in that the line becomes entangled around the spindle shaft of the winding cup and when the line is pulled out a tiny piece is severed by the retaining clip (the funny looking thing holding the pin in place)

_wsb_369x277_ABU%206713.jpg

but that tiny piece (the size of a eye lash or pube :o ) gets lodged under the clip & preventing it from working correctly & impeading the pin from retracting properly ! .

to remove clip squeeze the clip inwards at its centre where its thickest it should pop out from the hook ,put a finger on the pins carrage / holder blow any debris away then refit the clamp .re assemble the reel minus the cowling / wind shield & test the operation of the pin is correct by pressing the release button (this will make the pin pop in) then giving the handle a turn or two (this will make the pin pop out) it should be a clean snap in & out action

Edited by chavender

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

:o Maybe it would have been easier to sell the Kennet and get the sheffield or Aventa. I look forward to seeing it in use.

tigger mate, i swapped a sheffield :o for the kennet ! ! just so i can cut it up !!!

sometimes when you want to see if something you've thought off will work or not ,is too just do it. although you do get a squeeky bum/brown pants situation just before the first cut !!

and the reel will mostly be used by my nephew or people learning to cast ,as its virtually tangle free now whilst wallis casting .

owls22dx.gif

Chavender