Chenille for closed face reel spools

tincatinca

Many appologies, somehow I missed your post. :wallbash: I must admit that I have not seen spools like the ones you have before. Are they the original ones ?. It may be worth looking on e-bay from time to time as the plastic ones with the grooves come up occassionally as also do the metal ones.

I think your post went in before my pictures one got moderated, so you didn't miss it, it just appeared later?

They are definitely the original spools - I remember opening the box in 197?, and I remember filling them back then, and they've just been sitting in a reel case for 30 years. The reel is definitely a 506 with the blueish spool housing (and not a 506M with the two lines on the housing). I'll monitor ebay...though will I think also experiment a bit with the line filling and perhaps even putting some mono sticking out on the bottom as suggested by Chavender.

Thanks for the thoughts (any others very welcome of course).

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whilst on the subject can any one tell me which closed face these spools are from?

width 64mm (the front is 60mm)

depth 15.5mm

fixing :

two hole and grooves

and this one :

width 56.4mm (front 52.2)

depth 18.2mm

fixing :abu type pins

i have tinkered with fitting 2 pins to the 500's but the release button on the front has to be pushed harder to enable both trips to work ,i went back to one pin after having tackle conveniently tangle around my rod tip after one pin hadnt retracted ,for the 2" or so of "extra" pickup its really not worth the bother.

were not talking quality machining here and line often comes off the back of the spool although not a frequently as the front ,you soon will "feel" the line has tangled long before it grinds to a halt and its easy enough to just pop of the pin housing and unwind the loop anyway.

the "new" 507 gold max are a different kettle of fish ,nasty heavy things with a strange rubber band and spike "chenille" they come with 3 but after 6 months all will have worn out and you wont find spares ,the grooves are far to big for standard chenille so pipe cleaners are about right but pretty dire ,best to do what i did stick it on ebay and get your money back :D

its also pointless spending extra for the 506m you wont notice a thing from the 506 ,retrieve difference isnt big enough to make a difference and the spools are interchangeable anyway so the "match" spool can fit you standard 506 ,all you get for your money is a different badge not a different reel.

IMHO the best 0f the small 500's is the 1044 :D

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

chesters1 Hi there,

Not 100% sure, but i think from memory the spools in the first photo may be from the Shakespeare match, i seem to remember that the spool located onto two brass pins and turned to lock.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

chesters1 Hi there,

Not 100% sure, but i think from memory the spools in the first photo may be from the Shakespeare match, i seem to remember that the spool located onto two brass pins and turned to lock.

cheers i picked them up at a boot fair with a couple of abu ones so couldnt place the reels they are from ,the second ones pins are slightly further fron the center to fit the small 500's perhaps its a 704 spool?

having seen two 704's breakdown well within the warrenty period i have never tried one ,sometimes its best to leave almost perfection alone and stick to it ,going by the awfull gold max 507 they failed to make them any better infact worse.

the 1044 stuck almost to the same design and has the added feature of selectable backwind so perfection came a little closer and it was small enough to use as well i now prefer them to the 506 which a few years ago would have been strange as i bought mine in 74 ish and didnt think it could be bettered but times and thoughts change.

i never use backwind so its permenantly off but chesters1 likes to have features and choice in everything even if there never actually used ,sure beats stripping them to take the reverse pawl out then finding the flyer undoes if you havnt tightned it hard enough putting it back together

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson