Chenille for closed face reel spools

tincatinca

OT.

I've resisted this for quite a while, but can do so no longer.

chavender.... what is it that you use that causes the spaces to be put before the commas in all of your sentences?

errrrr ,the space bar of cause :rolleyes:

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

although you do get a squeeky bum/brown pants situation just before the first cut !!

LOL I bet you do, I don't think I'd do it, I think If I did it wrong I'd freak out ! But then again it's only a reel I suppopse....just money...down the drain.....wasted, yeah I would freak if it went wrong :o I'm interested how it stops tangles when wallis casting I can't get my head round how it does. As I said I do look forward to your clip of it in use. I hope it works for you.

the most common causes of tangles whilst casting is over runs & the line flipping over the backplate and tangling around the reels foot ,well the line guards job is to prevent this by being a barrier preventing the line from going backwards beyond the apex of the bottom curvature of the spool and going over the backplate ,if you can prevent the line going beyond the bottom dead centre point ,not enough line will be able pass over the edge so it'll pull its self back onto the spool Instead of flipping over the backplate.

and the only cure for over runs is too slow the speed the drum is spinning at ,as the end tackle enters the water .and killing its momentum/flywheel effect

with the kennet as i couldn't move it i chose to modify it ,i only took out the pillers infront of the bottom point of the spool leaving the one thats parallel and inline with the rear edge of the spools drum and towards the rear ,its this piller / suport that acts as a barrier to the line flipping over the backplate ,i could of removed the front suport and the guards rail back to this point leaving a small guard like a lot of reels have in verious positions

its the position of the guard that interfeares with wallis casting and by removing the two forward suports / pillers the line if passed through the guard then has free movement forwards but restricted rearwards ,if you visualise how the cast is performed and how the line moves about the reel thats the freedom the line needs to facilitate wallis casting .as i can adequately wallis cast with out a line guard fitted but i do show people how to do it and they'll benifit by this rather than me .in a ideal world the line guard would of been removable like this one .

DSC000301.jpg

owls22dx.gif

Chavender

the most common causes of tangles whilst casting is over runs & the line flipping over the backplate and tangling around the reels foot ,well the line guards job is to prevent this by being a barrier preventing the line from going backwards beyond the apex of the bottom curvature of the spool and going over the backplate ,if you can prevent the line going beyond the bottom dead centre point ,not enough line will be able pass over the edge so it'll pull its self back onto the spool Instead of flipping over the backplate.

and the only cure for over runs is too slow the speed the drum is spinning at ,as the end tackle enters the water .and killing its momentum/flywheel effect

with the kennet as i couldn't move it i chose to modify it ,i only took out the pillers infront of the bottom point of the spool leaving the one thats parallel and inline with the rear edge of the spools drum and towards the rear ,its this piller / suport that acts as a barrier to the line flipping over the backplate ,i could of removed the front suport and the guards rail back to this point leaving a small guard like a lot of reels have in verious positions

its the position of the guard that interfeares with wallis casting and by removing the two forward suports / pillers the line if passed through the guard then has free movement forwards but restricted rearwards ,if you visualise how the cast is performed and how the line moves about the reel thats the freedom the line needs to facilitate wallis casting .as i can adequately wallis cast with out a line guard fitted but i do show people how to do it and they'll benifit by this rather than me .in a ideal world the line guard would of been removable like this one .

DSC000301.jpg

Excellent. What is the next mod? perhaps to bring the handles more inboard of the rim. I can see it now. The A.N. Wallace caster B)

My Fuzzy Sticks arrived last week and I've earmarked this evening to stick the stuff into my ABU 501 so your photos are timely. Did use the superglue only to bind the two ends of the 2mm chenille/fuzzy stick together?

MC

I did not use the fuzzy sticks because they are too big which is why I used the 2mm chinelle which I eventually found on the net. Dependant on the type of reel spool there are some slight differences but in the picture one of the spools that I have done is an ABU 506 which I think will be similar to one from an ABU 501. With this spool I fitted the chinelle into the groove around the spool and superglued under each end of the chenille where it met around the spool if that makes sense. If you have the same problem as me with the fuzzy sticks being too big just pm me and I will send you some 2mm chenille

there are three types of abu spools

2889abu_spools.jpg

left: standard spool (no chenille ) deep ~ 0.20 230mtrs ,0.25 170mtrs ,0.30 130mtrs.

mid: deluxe spool ( chenille ) Medium ~ 0.25 130mtrs ,0.30 100mtrs ,0.35 80mtrs

right match spool ( chenille ) shallow ~ 0.10 165 ,0.15 90mtrs ,0.20 50mtrs

the standard spool doesn't have the chenille channel's ,so can't take it

owls22dx.gif

Chavender