Serious warning on reporting your catches

Alan Taylor

Guest jay_con

good anglers have learnt the art of saying nowt. but getting every last bit of information from others.

A guy in my club wants to know everything about me, but wont part with any of his info. he thinks he has the upper hand. but as he never tells me anything he cant send me in the wrong direction. as some of the info i pass him is duff, if he believes even a small percentage of it i have the upper hand.

a word of advice to anglers out there is never to believe the angler you chat to who tells you he's never had a bite all night. i know many wholl lie just to get you to leave the venue and leave the fish all to them.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so, are we saying "fishing out of amble OK, had a few bits" is acceptable and "fished 3 miles out of amble" is not or is saying amble too much info?

phil,

JOIN ANMC TODAY

Hi Phil, I think what Alan means is dont be too specific in the information you give. i.e. Dont give exact marks or map refs over the web, if you are going to give them, I would PM them, as I have done in the past,and only to peeps that you have some knowledge of. Thats my main reason for not puting catch reports on here.Dont want to make it too easy for them....whoever "them " is...I remember a couple or three years ago, Loch Fyne was choked with small whiting and haddock, everyone was talking about it, then all of a sudden, none left, the boats showed up, and hoovered them all up. :( They must have gotten their info from somewhere....maybe not the web, but somewhere.

All the best.

Norrie :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Is it not a sad thing tho that we cant help fellow anglers to have as much enjoyment as ourself, After all thats why alot, particularly the begginers come here for. Ive just never been like the squirrell who hides all his nuts.

But i do see the point, If its the way things are in todays world then it has to be done :(

Just shows the greed and how desperate the skippers seem to be to make Money :(:(

fished west bexington last winter, instead of the usual few winter die hards, there were hundreds of anglers, like a match was going on. talking to several camps, the same story came out, they had all seen the big sole on the front of sea angler mag & had come from all over the country. i never caught a sole down there !

Originally posted by shaun04:

[QB] Is it not a sad thing tho that we cant help fellow anglers to have as much enjoyment as ourself, After all thats why alot, particularly the begginers come here for.

Shaun/all, I agree with you entirely and in one respect regret posting this topic. We can still help our genuine fellow anglers with information but without giving exact (or leading to exact) locations, leave those to follow up emails/PM's.

I like to brag about my catches (as everyone on here knows :D ) but I try and keep the info down to a minimum and follow up with emails.

My info on Mullet in Ijmuiden is general knowledge here and is very safe as the marina is so well policed by people that live on the boats, the marina staff and the police, so have no worries there.

Some of the examples posted have eased my mind a bit about posting the original topic, please don't let this stop you from posting your fishing exploits one here or sharing your local knowledge, thats part of what AN is all about.

I seem to be diging a bigger hole trying to get out of the original hole that I dug :(

Alan :)

[ 14. July 2004, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Alan Taylor ]

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/