Thinking of Lure Fishing

StephenP

Hi guys.

I was walking along the canal today which I intend to fish soon for the first time. However I also noticed lots of places where I thought pike and perch would be hiding. I've never fished for these fish using lures before but it looks like fun and I want to give it a go. It would be nice to be able to walk up the canal trying a few different spots with a small amount of equipment in case I hook into a fish. I'm not sure what equipment I'll need though. I have a small 8ft winkle picker rod at home which I've had for years and it also has an old reel with it. Would these be suitable for this type of fishing? I know I'd have to use a wire trace as well incase I hooked a pike and I'd also need some forceps. What other equipment would I need?

Thanks.

Hi Stephen,

I do quite a bit of canal fishing as I have one outside my window. Here is what I carry.

Shakespeare Trion royalty spinning rod. Small baitrunner reel loaded with 30lb braid attached to an 18in wire trace. Short handled landing net. I carry a small rucksack which has in it swivels, snap locks, packet of small hooks, pliers, long forceps, knife, scissors, assortment of small weights, corks, small spool of line, 1 bubble float, 1 pike float, 2 plastic bold washing tablet tubs, first containing an assortment of spoons, spinners and spinnerbaits, and the other filled with an assortment of different depths of plugs.

And thats it....the ruckie is very light and portable, but to be honest, will soon be replaced by a fishing waistcoat to go lighter still.

Lure angling is very much about keeping on the move, trying to seek the fish out, trying likely spots and this is true whether it be sea, river or canal. For me, its what makes it exciting. Nothing in one area, move along a bit and try again.

Try "mapping" the area like the hands of a clock, and if fishing moving water, cast upstream nearside bank close first, then extend the cast, extend again, then cross and work the other bank. This is the method that has always worked for me. If nothing takes, then move down river a little and try again. With this method you can really cover the water and find the fish.

Hope this info helps, and good luck.

Frags

hello there the rod would be very unsuitable if there are pike around. to be honest if you want a go at lure fishing you can do it on the cheap side with new gear even one of the cheap glass spinning rods that companies like zebco make (i got my partners lad one 8 ft 10-50 gm weight rating with a zebco reel for 15 quid from nwest angling centre a couple of years back) this type of rod while not the best in the world will subdue pike far more quickly and youll be able to use heavier line as well.

TBH even if your just trying the lures and only use cheapish lures i would invest in braid of 30-50lbs for the smaller lures as in even the short term it will save you money as you wont loose anywhere near as many lures in snags so it could well pay for itself in one session. ten lost big s plugs would set you back over twenty quid (less than the braid is likely to cost)

By all means get a better rod and reel but err on the heavy side where pike are present i wont deny it will probably cost you some perch fishing like this

A good lure rod needs fast action and most UK rods tend to be from medium to slow.

Completely agree on using stronger braid line.

Rod "speed" chart

rod_speed1.gif

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks for the replies.

Could any of you recommend a cheap rod I could use to start out with? I dont want to spend too much as I'm not sure how often I'll get to use it. Maybe 30 or 40 pounds? I've got a reel with a bait runner which I think will be suitable so thats sorted.

Thanks.

Any of These would do. They are shorter than UK anglers typically use but are good lure rods.

The price is below the minimum for import fees so the price (slightly under £17 at the current exchange rates) and shipping should be all you pay.

Your reel should be fine although with the baitrunner mechanism, a little heavier than otherwise and you certainly don't use the baitrunner feature with lures. For occasional lure use, no need to buy a different reel.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

of ebay and a quick look

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SHIMANO-9ft-SPINNING...A1%7C240%3A1318

i have to point out ive never used this rod or even seen it i have the drennan esox in 9ft for some lures and they are probably the closest to what your asking about

but there are loads around from companies such as shakespere abu daiwa etc they all do cheaper models that will work well

you will end up paying a lot for a fast action blank though if you were to go down the multiplier route and slight ly larger lures i could put you on to a cheap rod that works fairly well

dont forgert there is a fair amount of kit needed for piking and the best thing you could do is get out with someone near you who knoows his way around pike

Edited by noodle996

I also have a Drennan esox 9ft and it's a nice little rod, will even cope with some light bait fishing if needed to and wobbling deads. I've used Shadraps on mine with no problems and that's a tad beyond the casting rating of the rod.

Just have to be careful with the rings, they are a little fragile

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have had a thought. I am thinking of trying a bit of carping maybe next year when it warms up a bit. So would it be reasonable to buy a rod that can be used for both? I remember reading an article that said you could do this and one of the rods it recommended for heavy carp and pike was a Shimano Alivo with 2.5 tc. Would this be a good idea?

Thanks.