Thinking of Lure Fishing

StephenP

I agree. A carp rod, while it certainly will cast out lures, won't be really effective with certain types of lures and most of all, will tend to make lure fishing a chore rather than fun.

I have carp fished with my 7' lure rods and while I never caught a huge fish, they certainly performed with smaller ones to about 15 pounds. Not nearly as well as a softer and longer rod would have but the fish and I were both able to recover nicely from the experience.

I think the only problem with using lure rods for carping would be the reaction of other carpers on the lake. :lol:

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have had a thought. I am thinking of trying a bit of carping maybe next year when it warms up a bit. So would it be reasonable to buy a rod that can be used for both? I remember reading an article that said you could do this and one of the rods it recommended for heavy carp and pike was a Shimano Alivo with 2.5 tc. Would this be a good idea?

Thanks.

You can get some nice stalking rods these days from people like Greys and Chub that would be ample for chucking a lure or two.....most of them are around 9ft which may not be ideal for really tight swims but is a compromise.

I've used my 9ft spinflex for bait fishing and landed a few doubles on it, fine if your not overloading it with 2/3oz leads and whole mackerels....smelt & small roach float fished fine though!

I've had a good look at the 9 foot Greys Stalking rod and I thought it would be fit for all manner of applications. I thought it was really just a pokey spinning rod with a label on it but I'd consider one myself.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I've had a good look at the 9 foot Greys Stalking rod and I thought it would be fit for all manner of applications. I thought it was really just a pokey spinning rod with a label on it but I'd consider one myself.

That's the one, I think Fox do one as well. Seem like really good, versatile rods for use on rivers where things can get tight.

Prologic also do a really nice range of multipurpose rods in the 8-10ft range

i have a Leeda Rimspin rod 9ft, i use it for lighter lure that my multiplier set up wont cast very well, small plugs and spinnerbiats etc i often use it as a bait rod, as long as im not fishing at distance it is fine, i normally float fish close in when using it, laned good fish over double figures on it.

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!