isle of wight

*Ant*

Hello to you all,

My parents have recently moved down to the Isle of Wight so I see this as a great chance to do more shore fishing. (live in staffs so been limited to 2-3 weeks a year).

I'm not a big caster so usually look for rock marks or harbours before trying off the beach.

Can anyone point out anywhere on the island to try and what species i'm likely to encounter. :confused:

many thanks :):):)

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

Hi

It depend if you are mobile mate. East Cowes, Ryde, Sandown, Bembridge, Shanklin all realatively easy to fish. Ryde and Sandown have piers.

Ryde has produced pout, Bass,and flounder recently.

It may be worth calling scotties or stuarts for friendly(?) advice.

Also try these links

http://www.solent-fishing-guide.co.uk/

www.bassman.freeuk.com

http://www.harvey-mayson.co.uk/seaangling/index.html

Tight lines

Ken

Ta wightman

I know the east side of the island quite well. I've got lots of family there and been going since i was a kid but never fished there. I know of a small jetty between Lake and Shanklin that many years ago had a small kiddies fair on it, thought about having ago there, any thoughts? Also thought maybe have a chance of conga off the rocks at Alum Bay...? :confused:

Hi Ant

Fort Victoria has shown conger in the past at night. The back of the Island is supossedly begining to show also, not too sure whats about though. Before you go to the back such as Chale etc it may be worth a daylight recc to see the way down and if the steps or aids are still there before attempting it in the dark, I speak from past experience as last summer we went to Chale and Atherfield, and almost came a cropper after going most of the way down with relative ease only to find the last 20 or so feet would require abseiling skills, and mountain goat agility on the way back up. Even worse when wet, but well worth it.

Also would be worth your while joining your local angling club for real info on your area.

Will post later if any good catches had

Ken

theres some great reefs by the benbridge lifeboat :)

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Hi Ant,

it depends on the time of year you are thinking of fishing here.

The back of the Island is really a waste of time at the moment, wait until the end of April or May for the rays to start moving in, although there is always a chance of a Bass there. As already said make sure the steps are in place if you venture to Whale Chine.

Fort Victoria shows some good Black Bream as the weather warms up, just at the back of the aquarium there, also some Smooth hound to be had off Yarmouth pier.

Hope this helps a little.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

Thanks Dave

My first visit of the year will be in May. Can anyone reccommend a tackle shop on the island as I can't remember ever seeing one. I'll be staying in the village of Wroxall near Shanklin.

Many thanks to all replies. :)

Ant

Ant there are a few shops here. Scotties have two shops, one in Newport and one in Sandown.

The one in Newport is at the back of Boots the chemist, if you go through Boots from the High Street and out the back of the shop just look left and you can`t miss it.

Screaming Reels is in Ryde half way down St Johns Hill/Road.

There is a shop in Shanklin I think it is called Tight Lines, not sure about that ones location.

Hope that gets you what you want.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning