Riverside Foraging Guide

Elton

Probably not razor shell 'oles Lyn. If there are worm casts about 6-12 inches away, that's the other end of the U-shaped tunnel the lug-worm lives in. Salt works almost instantly if it's going to work at all. I think you might be misidentifying your 'oles m'love.

Maybe I have, if you look on www.scillyphotos.com the pic of the beach is the sandbar between St Agnes and Gugh, this is one of the beaches on St Agnes where we spend our summer hols forageing for food. As you can see I will never get bored looking :)

It is an annual event now to find the razors along with looking for beads from a ship wreck and this year we found out that someone has left a book somewhere on the Island for people to write in. That too is now to be an annual event until we fnd it :D Oohhhhh I just love Scilly

Not quite sure how to tell which hole is which, I thought with the worms the sand came out, is that not always the case? :headhurt:

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, that wasn't an isolated case; the women who ate the death caps were Thais, and there have been other incidents worldwide involving people from Thailand and other parts of South East Asia. The problem is that the death cap resembles the paddy straw mushroom.

http://www.amanitashop.com/amanita-poisoni...m#southeastasia

Oh, and I also agree strongly with the last part of that article, beginning here:

http://www.amanitashop.com/amanita-poisoni...tm#overreaction

Edited by Steve Walker

They only mushrooms I pick are Liberty Caps xD great fun when you have a spare 10 hours to stare at a wall.

Careful with those - they were recategorised as a class A drug in 2005, so possession or supply of them either fresh or dried is treated in the same way as heroin or crack cocaine.

I really don't understand the logic of that, but there you go.

Careful with those - they were recategorised as a class A drug in 2005, so possession or supply of them either fresh or dried is treated in the same way as heroin or crack cocaine.

I really don't understand the logic of that, but there you go.

Of course I know that :) still, shrooms rock.

Not quite sure how to tell which hole is which, I thought with the worms the sand came out, is that not always the case? :headhurt:

lyn

Like I say lug-worm live in a U-shaped tunnel. At one end they have a hole, which I presume they use for grubbing around when they're submerged and at the other end, you usually find the worm-cast, which is the little pile of squiggly sand you see lying all over the beach at low-tide. To find the worm, you normally dig directly between the hole and the cast and you'll find the worm lying somewhere along the length of it's lair...lol...lair....rarrggghhh!! The sand here drains away quite easily. If you dig a hole, it will remain empty for quite some time. Wrong bit of the beach.

Razor-shells though will be found further down towards the water, like Steve suggested. You basically want to follow the tide going out to it's furthest reach, literally a few feet from the water, where the sand can be stood on quite safely but never drains.

Your method is correct though. Look for holes AND to make things simpler, use a funnel to pour the salt. It's neater, less wasteful and far more immediate. As soon as you've poured the salt, whip the funnel out and the razor will literally pop itself out about 5-10 seconds later. It's that quick and it's often quite amusing.

To be fair though, don't collect them all. Leave the smaller razors alone and try to spread yourself out over the beach. Don't empty a small stretch of all it's razors. It's harder for them to re-establish themselves that way. When you take one, walk a short distance before trying again and only take what you know you'll eat. Razors are really quite big and it's easy to get carried away. They're not like mussels which are all shell and bugger all inside. It's all about maintenance. When you collect them, take them home in some sea-water and leave them overnight, to clean themselves out, otherwise you might find them a bit shitty and gritty.

Open the razors, clean them in your sea-water and then drain them. Lightly oil a very hot pan. Show them the heat of the pan. A little garlic, maybe a tint bit of chopped chilli, salt and pepper and don't overcook them. A wee bit of 'life' in the middle is perfect, like a scallop. Slightly brown them and then serve them immediately with a bit of salad and some white vino.... and that's all. Yum Yum!!

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...