A nice weekend

Anderoo

Mild, wasn't it? And overcast, it looked perfect. After all the rain, the rivers were fining down and had that lovely autumn tinge. There was a bit more flow than normal which creates those fishy slacks and creases. It all pointed towards perch, so on Saturday I snatched a couple of hours at the little stream.

To cut the story down, the perch were nowhere to be found! They've certainly moved following the rain, but I'm not sure where to yet. The crays, on the other hand, were worse than usual, much bolder in the slightly coloured water and more evidence that the big stripeys were elsewhere. It wasn't a disaster though. I tried trotting maggots and casters along a crease behind a big clump of dying bullrushes and, even on the crude perch gear, had plenty of action from chub to about a pound, a couple of little dace and, best of all, roach! The biggest two were about a pound and immaculate. I wish I'd taken a photo or two now. Thinking back it was perfect roach weather and I wish I'd abandoned the perch and fished properly for them into dark. I'll definitely be going back, I reckon there may be a chance of a whopper!

On Sunday I had a couple of free hours before dusk so I popped over to my favourite little tributary for some trotting. I had some maggots I wanted to use up and the weather was still superb, mild and overcast, plus I wanted to give the pin a good spin ready for the Test next week. Again, the little river was in perfect autumn condition, a little extra water and flow with a lovely tinge of colour. I expected the fish to be along the slacker water, but they weren't - all the fish of all species were right in the fast water. The trout were very active and gave me all kinds of fierce battles - first trot down through the fast, choppy water and I hooked a huge brownie which rocketed up and down the little river for ages before the hook pulled. God knows what it weighed but it was a fair old size! Another one was hooked and lost, this time through repeated frantic jumping. Then I actually landed one. I took a photo because it had such incredible colours, it was a really dark brown with a glowing buttery belly, and huge red spots. The photo really doesn't do it justice unfortunately, it came out very pale:

After all that I didn't expect much more, but amazingly a decent chub followed almost straight away! I thought they were supposed to be spooky...

Another chub and several missed bites later (dace, probably) I moved on. I tried many spots over the next mile or so of river, most of which were barren, but even so it was such a joy to run the red-topped avon float through all the likely looking lies.I really suffered badly with missed bites - almost certainly dace, which is a pity, as there are some pretty big ones there. I did manage to land one which was a belting fish of about 8oz - again, I wish I'd taken a photo! I thought many more would follow, but no...! (I was trying out some new hooks too, barbless with a slightly in-turned point. I think these didn't help much.)

It's such a beautiful little river. I just like being there.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Lovely report, Anderoo- I really enjoyed that. It sounds and looks heavenly there!

What's interesting is that, though anglers are rarely surprised by a totally grim day, we nearly always maintain our optimism. We understand pessimism because our dreams are sometimes dented by the blows of fate, but always our hope returns, like a primrose after a hard winter. ~ C. Yates.

Smashing report, I really enjoy that type of fishing, walking a small river/stream with lots of interesting bends, undercuts, glides and creases. especially when fining down after rain. Definately a case of fishing with soul and the occassional surprise thrown in

Wasn't planning to go meself on Sat - car in for a service. But having picked it up quicker than the garage forecast I couldn't resist a couple of hours on the canal - well conditions WERE perfick - and so it proved. Had my first 3lb perch of the winter (3lb 2oz) and 4 others between 1.14 - 2.6. Also managed a 4lber - alas it was a pike!

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Nice one Anderoo, the brownies are just about to spawn and now is the time to see them in their full colours before they go a bit tatty, like a lot of other fish. Once they've spawned they go a bit crinkly, the skin loses condition, the colours look as if they're running and fading and basically the just look a bit crappy but by April/May, they'll have regained their condition. They probably won't be too thick and they won't be quite as colourful but it's all quite natural.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...