Help with vintage bambo pole

bluerinse

Can anyone give me any info on this pole, I purchased it about 5 years ago at a boot sale, and it came in a black card/materiel bag, its 13 foot long

It is well made and very light.

Any one knows how old it is?

What type of fish would it have been used for?

County of origin?

Could it and would you use it today, if yes what for? (I am thinking of using it for catching bleak for live bait)

Anyone seen or own something similar?

I also wonder if it was made as a travel pole, as each section is aprox 1.5 foot long and would be easy to pack and carry when travelling!!

Any info would be appreciated

Cheers

30hqzig.jpg

2d7d84i.jpg

k9ugqc.jpg

Edited by bluerinse

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

Its a London-style roach pole, much beloved of Frank Murgett and generations of Thames and Lea anglers before him.

I have a very similar one, although of fewer and longer joints. The best-known were those made by Sowerbutts. Has yours a woven silken loop whipped to the tip?

A roach pole is indeed a "travel rod" as roach anglers would travel from the crowded areas of London to their swims on the Thames or Lea in overcrowded third-class railway carriages, drawn by steam locomotive.

PS Looking at the last photo, you could always use the lower joints as a pool cue :)

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Its a London-style roach pole, much beloved of Frank Murgett and generations of Thames and Lea anglers before him.

I have a very similar one, although of fewer and longer joints. The best-known were those made by Sowerbutts. Has yours a woven silken loop whipped to the tip?

A roach pole is indeed a "travel rod" as roach anglers would travel from the crowded areas of London to their swims on the Thames or Lea in overcrowded third-class railway carriages, drawn by steam locomotive.

PS Looking at the last photo, you could always use the lower joints as a pool cue :)

Thanks Vagabond, do you know how old it is?

It does not have the loop but it does have a noble on the end were a loop would have been.

Its has no makers mark unfortunately. I think I might give it an airing on the Warwickshire Avon.

It’s really nice to know what it is I thought it might be oriental for some obscure reason

As for a pool cue if I don’t hide it away I am sure my kids would use it!!

Jasper Carrot On birmingham city

" You lose some you draw some"

I think I might give it an airing on the Warwickshire Avon.

If you do, consult a late-Victorian woodcut of an angling scene, as you will need to look the part - ie suitably accoutered for roach fishing, tap-room and third-class railway travel. :)

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...