Daiwa Caldia X 2500

Retiarius

Hi

I have several Daiwa reels that started with me buying the td-r. I bought it in the 3012 and 2508 sizes. I have recently added another 3012. The TD-R is a much better reel than the caldia x and not much more expensive.

I wanted a few bigger reels but the td-r,s don,t go any bigger so looked at the caldia x range as they are availeable in 3500 and 4000 sizes. I then bought a 3500 orignal caldia. Its fantastic. I found 2 caldia 4000,s and bought those. I think the older caldia is better than the caldia x.

Having said this if I wanted the 2500 or 3000 size I would go for the td-r. These reels are so powerfull and smooth until you use them you would not beleive the difference. I will never use another make of reel now its top daiwa,s every time.

For general leger work I would go for the 3012. For smaller lighter canal style rods I would use the 2508. I know use the 2508 for float and stickfloat work. The spools are so large compared with reel size that retreive is so quick and smooth stickfloat fishing at distance is wonderfull. The small body of 2508 allows finger tip control of line but fast retreive.

Any more questions please ask as I rate these reels so highly.

regards

John

Thanks, John, for your input.

What I'm after is a reel to use when fishing smallish rivers where I need to get a legered or freelined bait under far bank shrubbery etc. This often involves a low trajectory flat cast. For years I've been using an ancient Mitchell 300 for this purpose, but, much as I love it, it's coming to the end of its useful life. I've considered rebuilding it with spares form the excellent Mitchell Parts website - or even buying one of their built-from-new-spares reels.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind shelling out on something modern and reliable, as long as it's not too blingy, with a good clutch. I'd probably rarely use it for float fishing. Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Cheers,

Retiarius

Hi Retarius

I use the 2508 with a Fox Mark Pollard 9ft 6 very light canal bomb rod with 2 spliced tops.

I also have 2 drennan matchpro quivers that also have spliced in tops. These are the best for very light leger work although all rods will cast quite large feeders were necessary.

I tend to use the 3012,s with the slightly longer drennans although I also use them with 12.10 river drx feeders.

They are more than capable of heavy work but with delicate atributes aswell.

If you want the best try the td-r. it will save you money in the long run as looked after they will last as long as your mitchells and give you a great deal of pleasure aswell.

regards

John

Thanks, John, for your input.

What I'm after is a reel to use when fishing smallish rivers where I need to get a legered or freelined bait under far bank shrubbery etc. This often involves a low trajectory flat cast. For years I've been using an ancient Mitchell 300 for this purpose, but, much as I love it, it's coming to the end of its useful life. I've considered rebuilding it with spares form the excellent Mitchell Parts website - or even buying one of their built-from-new-spares reels.

On the other hand, I wouldn't mind shelling out on something modern and reliable, as long as it's not too blingy, with a good clutch. I'd probably rarely use it for float fishing. Does anyone else have any recommendations?

Cheers,

Retiarius