waterway ownership

frags

Hi all,

With the rivers around my way currently in flood, it has been suggested that to carry on my lure fishing addiction I should try the tributaries and feeder streams less affected by the high waters. Exploring these streams is a very appealing idea to me, but when you fish these small tributaries and feeder streams is there an issue with fishing rights and ownership.

Clearly, I wouldnt go tramping through someones garden or land that was obviously out of bounds, but if I venture up one of these streams am I likely to be walking into trouble?

I always carry my lure fishing gear in the car with me. In Cornwall, I could be driving along and see a little "fishy" cove, park up and fish. Clearly inland is much different with ownership rights coming into play. If I leap out of the car, and start fishing a stretch of river that isnt clearly signed as a angling club water, and get approached by someone, what is the proper etiquette, what should I do and what can they really do to me?

After fishing the coast freely for years, it seems that each and every stretch of river is owned by someone, which seems to really knock the enjoyable "roving" element of lure fishing on the head, or at the very least make it a very expensive business indeed.

Any advice gratefully received,

Cheers,

Frags

With a little bit of common sense and common courtesy I suspect that you will have few problems. Don't be afraid to ask! Have done just that myself in the past re a small stream, only to be invited to fish a private lake that had nor been fished for over thirty years and was stuffed with rudd.

If you just turn up and poach the water you've committed a criminal offence. Additionally you're quite likely to blow your chance of getting permission to fish!

Much better is to do some research first then approach the landowner or tenant. In many cases the answer will be yes, and you won't be always looking over your shoulder. But don't turn up with your tackle in view!

For me tracking down the waters is all part of the fun, and over the years I've got permission to fish dozens of miles of rivers and streams, and innumerable ponds.

It culminated in my getting hold of my gravel pit complex at Wingham!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

It's a really hot potato isnt it!

I know the allure of just driving, stopping and fishing, but also respect the land owners and certainly dont want to be trespassing.

As for poaching, thats totally untrue. I never ever take freshwater fish. I've even been chatting to a bailiff and landed a 7lb Zander and put that back, after a swift argument about the antiquated rules of anti-Zander persecution.

I am looking into "free" waters though, and I'm quite surprised at the lack of info available.....unless that means there is none lol

Ah well, I will keep searching. Caught a nice Jack yesterday underneath the new bridge in Gloucester, so was quite chuffed at that!

Cheers,

Frags