Please help a newbie

Carpnut

Good afternoon,

We are going on holiday to Trevone (cornwall) for the first 2 weeks in may and i'd like to get some beach/rock fishing done while we are there(provided I can sneak the gear into the car without her spotting it)

I'm very new to sea angling and have only just started after giving up on the carp due to the a$$holes who currently infest the sport.

So, what would i like to know..well.......baits, location, rigs infact any advice you have would be appreciated. I have the basic gear but nothing fancy and really i'd just like to catch something, not to bothered what, just a bend in the rod would be nice.

Cheers

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hiya Carpnut and welcome to the mad house :)

I can't help you on marks but I'm sure some will.

For the rocks try a simple running ledger with 4/0 or above hook and nice chunk of squid or mackerel bait. Be prepared to lose weights and set up a rotten-bottom system between your lead and the mainline.

If you haven't fished from rocks before then I would avoid going alone as they can be treacherous and swells can and do appear out of nowhere

For beaches try a 3-hook flapper or a pulley rig.

I'd give the beach a good work out too. It's a typical North Cornwall bass beach. Check it out at low tide to see if there are any hidden gulleys or underwater rocks and fish those marks on the tide up and then down. Frozen sandeel or fish strip is worth a try. You're only about 5 minutes from Padstow and Rick Stein's restaurant. Arrange a mortgage first if you intend eating there. :)

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

The beach that we will use the most is rocks all the way out to low water at on end and sand at the other end, I thought of fishing on the edge where the sand and rocks meet as the tide pushes in with mackrel strip and maybe squid. But as I am new to this i'm open to any idea's.The rocks around the lifeboat station and the light house look inviting but i'm not confident enough to fish them on my own. We went to rick stein's new fish and chip shop at the end of the harbour last year, very nice, not cheap but nice. The restaurant is far to rich for my blood.

Sad thing is, I have been going to this area for the last 20 years and this will be the first time I will fish it properly. Wish i'd decided to do it sooner.

Hi Carpnut,

Welcome to sea angling mate, as your an ex-carp angler you've probably got most of the gear for a good lure fishing outfit i.e a medium sized fixed spool reel/baitrunner, with mono or preferably braid of about 10lb B/S and a carp rod of roughly 2.5/3lb TC? Get yourself to a tackle shop and treat youself to a handfull of lures, Abu Tobys, Poppers and Rapalas (J11's or J13's) in silver/black or silver/blue, then get your self down those rocks at first or last light, you could also float fish with the same outfit.

And don't forget to tell is how you get on.

Scotty

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time

Hi Scotty,

Yes I have still got my carp gear which I still use for Pike and thought I may be able to use it for sea if it is suitable for the situation, I have plenty of plugs & spoons that I use for pike so i'm guessing they will also be ok for sea???

If only i could find away to use my delkims as well :D:D:D

Carpnut,

You could try the plugs and spoons you have, but the jointed rapalas are seen as the best when it comes to fishing for Bass/Pollock from the shore. The float rig will consist of a medium sized sea float threaded on the mainline, then a swivel with a six foot trace to 1/0 or 2/0 hook with fish strip as bait, then tie a stopknot on the mainline at the required depth, this should catch garfish, mackeral etc.

Scotty

No Luck This Time..............Roll On Next Time