Please help a newbie

Carpnut

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have rung them, they did upgrade it as the item i wanted was not in stock, they said have a go with it if you don't like it give us a call back.

So, i'm happy with that :D

Just need to find an excuse to get out and try it without letting on i've got some new gear

Capnut,

You are going to my stamping ground. The advice you have been given is sound. I would just amend it slightly with a little bit of detail.

Bottom fish close to the rocks on the sand - but only if the water is clear. If it is murky from the sand/silt being stirred up go off the end of the rocks in the clearer water.

The headland at the mouth of the river is Stepper Point. You can get down on the rocks - use some lugworm or ragworm, size 1 or 1/0 hook. Float big enough to take a 1/2oz ball weight.

Sliding float rig: thread your rell line with - bead, float, weight then tie off with a swivel. The bead means you can use a smaller float stop. I use a small rubber band cowhitched to the line then just cut off (cow hitch, put the band around the line and just put one loop end through the other, keep the line taught and pull the rubber band loop up. Snip off so you have about 1/4" of tag ends. That way the float stop doesn't rattle up through the rod rings and come off.

About a 18" trace is long enough. Set the depth to have your worm dangling about 2' off the bottom. You will get pollack (on ragworm mostly) Ballan wrasse - no good for eating but great scrap. If one takes you into the weed or under a rock just slack off everything for about five minutes. Then wind in fast and try and hank him out. Often they will be just venturing back out of the hole, but if you keep pressure on he will stay in the hole.

Similar set up, but set to about 6' deep only, size 1 hook. strip of mackerel - 3" long, 1/2" wide. Just hook it ONCE at one end so it hangs from the bend of the hook. A strip of sandeel will work just the same. This rig will get you mackerel and garfish.

Those are methods for during the bright of the day - while the family are on the beach. You could also use the rocks at the northern end of the beach - go out across the grass and get down on the end. It isn't dangerous, you can watch the swells and just find a good bit of rock to perch on. We were doing it as 8 year old kids. Still here! Just watch the swells. If it is dangerous you won't be able to get near enough to fish anyway!

For first thing in the morning - and I MEAN first thing, like 2 hours before sunrise (so in May about 2am through to breakfast time (8ish)by which time the sun is well up. You could do worse than use a surface lure over the rocks on the southern side. Don't work it too fast. Let the fish find it. Ballan wrasse, pollack and bass will all take a surface lure.

In the estuary itself, just down from the town quay, about a 5 minute walk from the where the ferry runs across to Rock, you can spin in the deep channel at any stage of the tide with a 20g silver Toby and catch mackerel, garfish, bass and occassionally seatrout!

Spinning off the rocks where I said to float fish should get you garfish and mackerel too - if you count the lure down you can spin for pollack too, but watch you don't get snagged in the kelp. Whack it out, count to 10 then start a reasonable speed retrieve - 1 turn/second is good starting point. After 5 casts try counting to 15 and so on. AS SOON AS YOU FEEL ANYTHING LIKE BOTTOM wind fast to kite the lure up and next cast count 5 less - you will be deep enough. It is surprising how far up in the water column polack will come to take a lure. I have had them come out of the water as they hit because they were coming up so fast.

That should get you a few bends in the rod.

Have fun and say cheers to the folks for me. I hope to be down first week of May myself - doing a feature on the Harbour Commisioners new RIB for Yamaha.

Cheers,

Simon

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Carpnut, you can't get waggle down there - the St. Austell Ales HSD is the one to go for..!!

I never go anywhere without my rod - sometimes I even take my fishing gear with me! Going to be doing more fly fishing in the salt this year - less fuss, just rod, reel and a small box in your pocket. Brilliant. I shall be throwing a fly into the briney just down from the town quay, like I said. Or over a Daymer Bay (other side of the estuary on the Rock side).

The rocks on the southern side of the bay inside Gunver head is another good fly fishing area - shallow water over rocks. A fly gets snagged less often.

Simon.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo