Need new reel to go with new lure rod

kkelly

Hi all,

Just got my new lure rod "Fox Xtreme Pike Spin" ( http://www.foxint.com/catalogues-products....&section=33 ). I have got a reel on order a. I've ordered "Okuma Halogen" reel ( http://www.svendsen-sports.co.uk/?q=node/142 ).

I'm not sure how going to find using the rod upside down, plus the reel I have used like these, where from sea fishing.

So what would you recommend for a reel. In case I don't use the new reel? take in mind my budget will be £50 and using 40 or 50lbs braid line.

Dont know if you realised but the rod you have is meant for using with a fixed spool reel not a multiplier. The ringing will not be right for you to use the multiplier and keep the line off the blank when your playing a fish.

I much prefer multipliers for lure fishing but in all honesty fixed spools are just as good and can be easier for some one to initially use.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I agree. Definitely a fixed spool you want for that rod, although the rod will handle some fairly substantial lures, so not a major handicap. What will handicap you is your choice of lures. basically you're looking at straight retrieve lures and plugs. You won't be able to 'work' some jerk-baits for instance.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

For 25 quid or so those reels are incredible value, but, as has been said, not really suitable for the rod. Link it to a nice 6' or 7' baitcasting, trigger grip rod & I'm sure that you will soon grow to love it. ABU, Berkely, Mitchell and Dave Lumb all make excellent baitcasting rods.

Thanks for the information guys. No I didn't know, I needed to use fixed spool reel. What what you recommend for one to use bait runners or match reels and what one?

I do have an old 6foot spinning rod I got in the US 10 years ago, I might use the new multiplier reel on that. As the reel with that rod is damaged.

Unless you are pretty good with multipliers, that one will be a bit prone to backlashing given that it only has a centrifugal brake. You really want one with both that and a magnetic brake for easier line control. The 'danger' times are when the cast first starts and the reel spool is getting up to speed and at the end when the lure is slowing faster than the spool. The centrifugal one is more help at the beginning of the cast and the magnetic at the end.

An experienced user can manage with an educated thumb and maintain good control but this is a skill only learned with lots of practice and lots of overruns.

For a fixed spool reel, avoid the 'baitrunner' style since the extra part for freespooling adds weight and will never be used for lure fishing.

If you are interested, I have a new Mitchell 300Xe? (actually, I have 50 of them). I'll put details in the For Sale section if you want to have a look.

There may be good reels available locally so get opinions from the pros on here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President