two hooks

old novice - jeff

hi all, its been a while since i asked one of my daft questions.

just been watching fishing on tv and the guy did some fly fishing and sea fishing, while sea fishing he had multiple hooks, i already knew this setup but when he was fly fishing he had two hooks on the same line (i know nothing about fly fishing). so i was thinking is there any reasons or laws why we could not use a multi hook setup while course fishing, like one on the bottom and one mid water ?

gatso.gif

hi all, its been a while since i asked one of my daft questions.

just been watching fishing on tv and the guy did some fly fishing and sea fishing, while sea fishing he had multiple hooks, i already knew this setup but when he was fly fishing he had two hooks on the same line (i know nothing about fly fishing). so i was thinking is there any reasons or laws why we could not use a multi hook setup while course fishing, like one on the bottom and one mid water ?

Not sure about the law but i dont think there is any reason why other than practical. Going back a few years i can remember fishing wilstone reservoir. And a double hook ledger setup was quite popular just a variation of a sea rig, Just to offer a choice of baits to the tench and big bream. But i dont really think you could apply it to a midwater set up. But i do remember a rig that was used at queenford lagoon that incorperated a ployball to present a double hook setup above bottom weed. But i think for general fishing one hook per rod is quite enough unless you are fishing somewhere particually hard to increase you chances

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

I think it was relatively common in the 'old times' - as was the use of, for example, treble and double hooks for carp fishing. If you read some of the literature of the 40s & 50s, like 'BB', Dick Walker etc. there is discussion of the practice. Having said that people often also gaffed carp in those days too and taking/ killing carp for setting up - or just for accurate weighing at home was regarded as ok.

Thankfully, nowadays, we treat our fish as humanely as possible - I imagine the practice of using two hooks would be frowned upon by most clubs &societies. Having said that - it's common practice in fly fishing to fish a team of 3 or 4 flies, and multiple fish are regularly caught.

Regards,

Retiarius

http://retiarius-angling.blogspot.com/

Very much a localised rule/byelaw thing Jeff.Best to check your local regions EA ruling and any club/synicate rules.

Ive used double hook rigs for both bream and roach in similar circumstances to those allready mentioned.Like most fishing things just a case of using a bit of common sense.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Have a look here:

Helicopter roach rig

This is the only kind of use I can really see for a two hook coarse rig as Wolf mentions, mainly to target roach.

For me its just one more hook to get tangled round weed/vegitation or myself!

Simon

Edited by Simon Fell

It's something I've not thought about recently but we used to fish with 2 and 3 hook paternosters and a feeder for reservoir brownies and so long as the hook-lengths were no more than around 4 inches long, the setup remained fairly tangle free. You could use slightly thicker mono and lengthen your hook-lengths but then you compromised on the number of takes but then the extra length made the fish take the baits more freely and then we found the hook-size made a difference to the weight of the hook-length.....arggghhh.....you see what you've done? My head hurts.

Just fish with the one, there's a good lad....lol

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

now theres a idea 3 hooks on 2 rods = 6 fish at a time lol

i have more than enough trouble fishing 2 rods with only 1 hook on each, we went to a carp puddle a few weeks back for a easy days fishing, it was a bit on the slow side so i fished 2 rods (it had been cold the night before) i had nothing for about 45 Min's then i had a bite on 1 rod, just as i started to reel in i had a bite on the other, and as luck would have it both fish headed for the same spot so i had no choice but to pick up the other rod.

what i site i must have looked 1 rod in my right hand trying to lift and lower the rod to keep the line tight, the other rod held between my legs and winding and back winding to keep that line tight.

the father in law could do nothing but laugh.

i did manage to land both fish, then i put 1 rod on the bank for the rest of the day.

gatso.gif