For Bob and anyone else who likes skate :)

Spur-Hound

I promise not to do such a thing Shaun, me and Mike are now carrying a camera and video cam on all skate trips from now on.

Hope we get something to wet all your appetites before next July. Although I wont be out for another day or to until my back heals up. I think it was carrying my very large Okuma reel that did it.

Without wanting to upset Mike Thrussel (Who I have spoken to on a few occasions and he always comes across as a decent bloke) I believe Davy Holt has knowledge of plenty good size Skate having been caught in Scapa recently.

Bob

Apparently Mike Thrussel was on Radio Orkney this morning talking about Skate fishing up here (Well down south in Scapa flow). I would imagine Scapa will be hit by lots of anglers because it is easy to get to from the UK or Scrabster boats.

I doubt many (Apart from hardy AN types) will make it this far North, leaving all those fantastic fish for us.

I didn't listen to it as I have trouble listening to local radio reports of missing cats and jumble sales on an island that takes me 2 hours to get to. Mabye we should start Radio Stronsay. We could just not bother to say anything and people wouldn't need to listen to it.

Bob

I`d just like to thank Davy Holt and the rest of the good people who made it possible for me to land my first ever skate of 171lb .

It took me over 45 min just to get it moving from off the bottom, only to have all the line that I thought I`d won to see it going back into the sea.

My arms are still sore and for the first 5 hours after the skate was tagged and released back into the sea my arms were shaking.

Now when I go back sea fishing from my part of the country (north east)I want to see the skippers face when I ask him for 2 full mackeral for bait .

The past 2 days, have been the best 2 days fishing since I started fishing, 40 years ago.

I can not thank all those people enough for the experiance.

By the way Shaun, how`s the sun-burn?

I will post the photo`s ,once I find out how to do it.

Thanks again Davy and crew.

Brian

[ 19. July 2005, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: pestguard1 ]

Brian

(avatar is a 171lb common skate )

caught onboard "Catchalot" with Davy Holt