Rigs

Guest Flybynight

Guest Flybynight

As a not too regular sea angler, I am a bit overwhelmed by the complexity of the rigs I see others using and described here. My rigs are specatacularly unsophisticated. Typically I use a weight that I try to match to the conditions (though, not having the kit to cast it, never fish more than 3 ozs) - either with legs (in which case I fix the line via a triple swivel with a shorter, heavier guage hook length coming off the side arm of the swivel); or, I use a free running rig - ie don't fix the weight to the line. But then I don't know where to wind in to...should it be tight/completely free (in which case how do you know when you've got a bite?). I do use a float from rock marks too sometimes - and just try to get my bait as close to the bottow as I can without catching it - by using a short hoop of line on the spool length at the appropriate point, to stop the float.

I've seen really complicated looking rigs with multi colours and loads of hooks with connectors I've never even heard of, wrapped around rocks. (A big load of them last year on holiday fishing off the end of the Isle of Whithorn in Galloway - some very nice Wrasse there). Do these improve your chances of catching? Are they really expensive? Can you buy them ready made?

And maybe the most imnportant: is there a good web site that makes sea rigs easy to understand both in terms of construction and use, without trying to dazzle the beginner? I'll understand a bit more of what I read here then perhaps :D

Thanks

FBN

Hi FBN

As a relative novice myself I would whole heartedly recommend the following book:

The Sea Angler's Step-by-step Guide to Bait and Rigs

This was recommended to me & really does take the confusion out of rig tying.

I'm sure other people will point you in the right direction of websites for rigs etc, but that book is a worthwhile investment.

I also found talking to people in tackle shops invaluable as they can pass on years of experience.

I buy a new rig that I've not used before from a tackle shop, then take it home & see how it's made so I can then save money & make them myself in future.

FearTheHands.gif

Knowing my luck if I were a buddhist I'd come back as myself ...

The perfect rig, in my opinion, consists of the line and a hook and nothing else. Unfortunately, it can only be used in perfect conditions (i.e. hardly ever), and at all other times you must compromise. Usually that means at least a weight, for casting and holding bottom.

If you are casting any distance, you will be using a shock leader which is stronger than the mainline, and you will want to tie the weight to the end of it in as strong a way as possible; the weight is the priority, not the hook, because the weakest point when a fish is on will be no stronger than the weaker of the trace and the main line.

So, you have a lead attached to the end of your shock leader. You now need to attach the trace somehow. You could just tie it to the eye of the weight, but that's likely to tangle. The simplest thing to do is to create a loop in the shock leader using a blood loop and tie it to that. Repeat for additional hooks. That, I reckon, is the simplest rig.

You might add bait clips (definitely help keep the bait intact, reckoned to improve casting distance). You might want to put a split ring between all of the above and the rest of the leader, to allow you to swap rigs quickly, and to attach the lead via another one for the same reason.

As an alternative to blood loops, it now seems fashionable to thread a swivel on the line and trap it with a bead and a crimp either side. It looks a lot neater, it might weaken the leader less than a blood loop, in theory it ought to tangle less. Can't say I've noticed the latter, to be honest.

There are then a whole range of other rigs and bits of tackle designed to overcome specific problems, some very useful, some less so. The two things you can guarantee an extra gizmo will catch are a) weed and B) anglers in the tackle shop. It may or may not also catch you some more fish.

All last year I fished only one type of rig - a 2 hook rig with bait clips. The only variations on the theme were the length of the snoods/hooklengths.

Where I tend to fish is usually fairly clean ground and so there is no real need for fancier types of rig, unless someone tells me different.

The main thing is to present a bait as naturally as you can and to get a good scent trail going. More hoos = more bait = more scent trail, but that said, there is alot to be said for trying to keep things as simple as possible. The more complicated it is, the more likely it will break down.

I now fish 3 different types of rig:

Running ledger

Pulley

2 hook clipped down.

I agree with Steve too - go buy a couple of different types of rig and then have a go at making them yourself - it is very easy and very satisfying to catch on your own tied rigs.

There are loads of websites and as ever, I can't find the one I'm thinking of which would help you - do a search on rigs in the sea section and you'll find dozens of helpful sites.

I've had a look at the book FTH recommends too - well worth the money and again explains what is needed for each rig and gives ideas on variations on different themes.

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Some fish, eg flounders, are attracted by colour and vibration so a few sequins etc can improve catches. A big bag from a dressmakers or hobby shop is pretty cheap and will last ages.

While you are down the dressmakers, stock up on shirring elastic, this is sold down the tackle shop for a few bob more as bait elastic.

[ 12. April 2005, 11:42 PM: Message edited by: Socksy Squirrel ]

Guest Flybynight

Socksy - along with so many other products I use regularly, which from B&Q for eg, cost the normal price but from a tackle shop cost a load more. Varnish is a good example...

Thanks for the comments - I'll get the book and then think about what I can make and what I might need to buy.

Cheers

FBN

Hi all

Another new boy question from me! :) I have just bought some imitation sand eels from ebay, they look and feel incredibly real, but have no hooks in them!. Do you just hook em up the same as a "real" sand eel?. If so what is the best way to do this with a 6" eel, as I have only ever hooked up small eels through the head??.......Cheers ~~~~~~SDD :)

SeaDooDavid:

Hi all

Another new boy question from me!   :)    I have just bought some imitation sand eels from ebay, they look and feel incredibly real, but have no hooks in them!. Do you just hook em up the same as a "real" sand eel?. If so what is the best way to do this with a 6" eel, as I have only ever hooked up small eels through the head??.......Cheers ~~~~~~SDD    :)  

if they are storm wildeye sandeels youve got it sussed mate

Flybynight, you don't need complicated rigs, simple is best. They are intended to get you buying all sorts of clap trap that you don't need.

Use a nice long trace, using black amnesia, hook size according to species. Strong big swivel, put your line through the weight loop, onto the swivel, a simple ledger. The only time you will need short droppers is for Whiting.

You only need to clip down for long distance. However, the best and biggest fish are close in. Fish come to the shore for one reason, food from the surf. Most anglers don't realise that they are casting too far most of the time.

Try it for a while, and see if you catch any less by fishing close in. You may be surprised. My close in rod gets the biggest fish.

[ 13. April 2005, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: kentangler ]