Shore fishing in Tenerife.

Bacon butty

Dont know if its of any help to anyone, but when I was in Lanzarote 2 years ago ,I was catching a Barracuda almost every cast,using either floated squid or spinners ,The majority were only around the 5lb mark , but I did hook into a few real monsters aswell.The resort was Costa Teguise , and I found an outcrop of rocks on the coastal path adjacent to the last complex heading towards the Arricife road . Excellent sport!

Hi Kieran ,I was catching them approx 1 hour before and after high tide.I would recommend you use decent gear .At least 20lb line and preferably a wire trace though , cos I made the mistake of using the usual touristy gear at first(cheap telescopic rod and reel) and lost quite a few good fish ,so went into town and bought a quality rod and reel , which was worth every penny.Also made some of my outlay back by selling the fish to the owner of the apartment complex.

Oh yeah I would also recommend a pair of leather gloves ( watch those teeth ) they are lethal

Hi Jabba

Excellent info. Thanks.

I was reckoning on using a pike clip to keep the mouths open when unhooking and a long nosed pliers or similar. Wire - that'a a bit of a shock! Would heavy mono (60 lb) do instead?

What spinners worked best - silver, sandeel shape?

I take it, that the squid would be floated just below the water surface... only a few feet?

Thanks again mate, really appreciated!

Looking forward to it already!

Kieran Hanrahan

Catch this release... www.sea-angling-ireland.org

Tried lures off the shore a few years ago with no luck. Was told that barras come into the harbour at Christianos in the evening but they did not show for me. Seen a guy dead baiting on the rocks in front of Harlequin boozer. He got stuck into something that took off like a train - it snapped his 30lb mono(or bit through) he was using small mullet for bait. They are dead easy to catch using multihooks and floated bread

Tightus linus :)

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Hi again Kieran .You could try heavy mono or braid ,but I was snapped on quite a few occasions ,when hooking the larger fish.

They seemed to prefer chasing lures with a bit of colour to them when I was after them and the squid was floated at about 3 - 4 ft , but to be honest ,when they are there ,they will chase anything ( a bit like a mackeral with attitude)

• 2 years later...

post-1760-1154379642_thumb.jpgi am off to playa de arena its one of the areas between los gigantes and port santiago on the southwest corner above los cristianos. loaded with beachcaster and two shimano exage rods. wire traces and enough end tackle to tackle most species from light gear to ton up fish. have had a lot of conflicting posts as to what i may or may not catch. there are no specific areas to try basicaly most of the areas are untouched but you will see many anglers spanish mostly fishing for there tea. now they dont usualy sit there for a long time. they will be happy to catch a few dorados sea bream and a few mullet as this is easy fishing they use 5 or more hooks wraped round brad for the mullet and worm or prwan for the dorados thats sea bream. but the serious stuff is out there, you just have to present as big bait floating or toherwise on any outcrop of rocks or jetty or even a beach with surf but be warned do not and i say this again DO NOT DO NOT go down to the bottom to land a fish the atlantic has no mercy at all. it has no feelings for your life whatsoever. and you will get rfreak waves sweep many people off the rocks so be warned. this is very very important you remember this. once saftey is a main concern then you can have a good days fishing stay close to people at all times dont think you can go off at night on your own go with a friend or within shouting distance let people know when you will be back. right has that sunk in good then bait squid worm (from the tackle shops )strips of fish and prawns are all good small sprats and small joey mackrell are even better. float fished will give you a better chance as the bottom is mostly rocky now rods beffy fr the big stuff and loaded with 50lbs line big reel i use a big pit reel with ten bearings a smaller rod for the mullet with line of 8lbs will suffice again floatfished. i forgot to mention flaotfished crabs are very good and plentyfull around the loose rocks....

boats can be hired but i have yet to try one so i will post later on upon my return this knowledge is new to me and i am happy to pass this on as there is hardly any information out there to get hold of this is a good link http://www.owltraining.com/fishing.htm

this chap has fished there and has good advise for many people also

http://www.owltraining.com/fishing.htm

http://www.canaries-live.com/UK/sports.html

there are a lot of links out there but you will have to spend some time yourselves looking further you could post here or send me an E-mail to gary@carpdreamfishing.com i will get back to you i am off on this week and will be back within ten days so lets se what the atlantic has to offer afetr my last mexico trip i gained a lot of knowledge there and have done from all my sea and freshwater trips around the world glad i can help tight lines

fishing guide for catfish and carp