Help me catch my first Bass please

NetFull

Im fairly new to sea fishing the only type i've done is for cod and whiting.

I need some help fishing for bass in the region of Bridlinton to Mablethorpe any advice welcome, baits, rigs, some good places etc. Are they mainly a summer fish or can you catch them all year round.

If you got your copy of "Seaangler" today you will get a free DVD called "Predators" which show you all you need to know as to catching BASS and the best bait and tackle to use.

Brian

(avatar is a 171lb common skate )

caught onboard "Catchalot" with Davy Holt

My first advice would be big Bass hooks and big baits. Don't be frightened to use a half a mackerel fillet on a pennel rig. I 6lb Bass has a whopping great mouth, and a 5/0 hook gets lost in it. Another advantage of a big bait is a big scent trail. Small bait robbing fish will be less of a problem, and might attract Bass because of their activity. Mackerel is one of the best all round Bass baits. Don't think you have to cast, most good Bass are under your feet. Just find a likely mark where they might be. Local knowledge is mostly essential. Bass feed in small time windows at different stages of the tide. This varies at each different mark, Once you have discovered their feeding habit at a particular mark, you can set you watch by them. They may only feed for 20 or 30 minutes. But if you know that, you will catch one.

You can do worse than fish exclusively for Bass 6 months of the year. You might catch fewer fish than your general sea angler, but when you do catch a Bass, it will be worth it. Not sure of the season where you are, someone will know, but Bass are a Summer fish. Peaking in August to October, with the bigger ones in the Autumn, some even caught in December in the South.

Best of luck, have fun.

[ 23. September 2005, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: maidstonemike ]

Hello NetFull

I reckon Maidstonemike's advice is spot on.

In fact its quite spooky how he's described my own fishing habits down to a tee, for a good 6 months of the year !

I don't know your area at all but I'm sure the main principals will apply.

I think the bit about putting the time in to discover the bass's time-table on a given mark is paramount. Try differing tides in cycle of neaps up to springs etc. and experiment with different states of the tide i.e.- fishing from low water up, or from high water down etc.

Also, depending on locality/conditions don't forget other methods like spinning with lures and plugs, float fishing and even flyfishing (something I intend to have a go at).

Keep at it and you'll get one of these:

Posted Image

Best of luck

[ 23. September 2005, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: RichardB ]

DON'T PANIC

Originally posted by macky

quote:

i have treid and tried to get a bass on mackrel from the yorkshire beach....it just dont work
They must be very pe-occupied on feeding on something else then....

[ 23. September 2005, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: RichardB ]

DON'T PANIC

The above spells it out and Macky is right some beaches will not yeild bass on mackeral.

As I said before an hour spent exploring the low water line is worth it's weight in fish, find the gullies, banks, mussle and worm beds and backwash areas plus all the other likely features.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist