Can you eat smoothound?

NickH

see what i mean jeff before you can compare anglers with anglers ie sea/coarse you have to be able to change attitudes first not easy mate ask leon, then you may get somewhere with this licence issue

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes you have a good point leon, was meerly pointing out that some people hold certain fish in a higher esteem than other more commonly edible fish, but in this case it seems not to be the case, if that makes sense??

Perhaps we should educate our new poster rather than scare him off with hardline comments though??

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

OK OK... now you have got me feeling bad!! wasn't expecting that response.. I would like to remind you that I explained I was new to the sport and like all new things there is a period of learning, which is why i posted in the first place.. so please don't condemn me just yet.

So, anyway, to put you all a little more at ease... and provide a more accurate account of how I came to have a smoothy in my freezer..

We were fishing as described and did indeed catch a smoothy, the boat on the next buoy had caught a few (and killed them) but we put ours back. And as we were leaving they offered one of theirs.. so that is the one I placed in the freezer. But I wasn't convinced it was an eater hence the post!

Am I in the clear now?

And to conclude, it sounds like it should leave the freezer and enter the bin.. I'll stick with bass & mackerel in future.

Cheers

Nick

Nick there's no nead to feel bad, I'm sure nobody meant you to feel that way...

People don't eat certain fish either because they don't eat well or if they are a threatened species, Smoothies are in the first catagory...

Enjoy your fishing and perhaps follow the advice of another poster in respect of researching each fish that you have a chance of catching in your local waters. You'll soon learn as to what's worth keeping and what's not... Good luck

stavey:

see what i mean jeff before you can compare anglers with anglers ie sea/coarse you have to be able to change attitudes first not easy mate ask leon, then you may get somewhere with this licence issue

This thread has absolutly nothing to do with fishing licences or the comparision of different types anglers and I feel your clutching at straws now buddy....

NickH:

OK OK... now you have got me feeling bad!! wasn't expecting that response.. I would like to remind you that I explained I was new to the sport and like all new things there is a period of learning, which is why i posted in the first place.. so please don't condemn me just yet.

So, anyway, to put you all a little more at ease... and provide a more accurate account of how I came to have a smoothy in my freezer..

We were fishing as described and did indeed catch a smoothy, the boat on the next buoy had caught a few (and killed them) but we put ours back. And as we were leaving they offered one of theirs.. so that is the one I placed in the freezer. But I wasn't convinced it was an eater hence the post!

Am I in the clear now?

And to conclude, it sounds like it should leave the freezer and enter the bin.. I'll stick with bass & mackerel in future.

Cheers

Nick

:cool: Now it's dead it would be a waste to put it in the bin. Skin it, cut it into chunks then microwave it until the flesh comes away from the backbone and use the flesh in a fish pie or fish cakes. Alternatively slice the fish after skinning into about 1/4 inch thick slices and coat with seasoned flour and fry until brown, delicous with lemon juice and fresh bread. I have occasionally taken a deep hooked fish and I don't have a problem with anglers taking the occasional fish for the table, especially the smaller male fish. We take bream, cod, bass, why not smoothhounds? :D

yup easy on the new guy dudes.

but one thing Nick, i would encourage you strongly to join the NFSA and BASS to learn a bit about our current political issues, and what species ARE threatened.

aside from that the BASS magazine is superb for new bass fishers, with lots of article to help you catch more bass, And if you are a member you can get all the back issues from the year dot on one CD for about £20.

its a bargain mate.

Mark.

ps - i would have thought its head & guts would make some groundbait. :)

[ 24. June 2005, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: guernseybass ]

www.swff.co.uk - Guernsey Saltwater Fly Fishing

Member of B.A.S.S. - www.ukbass.com

Member of NFSA www.nfsa.org.uk

"better to have fished and lost than never fished at all "

Nick

I saw this comming as soon as I saw your first post come up.

I wouldnt let the above posts put you off. From what I have seen on here the posters who have replied are very helpful and knowledgeable people. It is just that your first post has hit a topic that is regularly discused here and will raise emotions for all the right reasons. Some of the people above put a lot of effort into protecting our sport and fish.

As you pointed out you are new to this game and one of the best places to get good information not only on techniques tactics but also conservation and the etiquete of angling is here on AN so dont be put off.

Matt

Too true,

I am a real novice a fishing and everything I have learned has been off guys on this site, and I mean everything!!!

Coming from Surrey myself which is not exactly a hot bed of sea fishing, it's hard to learn anything.

I guess what I am trying to say is.... Nick get a meet up with some guys off here and pick there brains, coz they have a lot to offer.

Keep it reel!!