live sandeels

***Simon***

i get the impression these are a killer bait for big bass so i need to get some.

how do i get hold of some?

there is a place i can dig them but they are quite small and i can only get 1 or 2 because they are so fast.

how can i improve my chance of digging a good quantity?

is there anywhere online that i can buy them?

thanks in advance

always look on the bright side of life

Guest jay_con

I saw a program with hugh fernley whitingstall he had a big stick of some description which he dug into the sand a couple of inches and drew s shapes as he moved about. Hundreds of the little bleeders were popping out all over the spot.

Don't forget frozen sandeels are very good indeed. Waving around in the surf, they look alive, and a Bass has to make it's mind up quick, before someone else gets his tea.

Baitsdirect.com supply top quality sandeels for about £1.40 per ten.

Use an old thermos flask to take them fishing, and keep them frozen right up to using them.

[ 26. July 2005, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: MLD ]

***Simon***:

i get the impression these are a killer bait for big bass so i need to get some.

how do i get hold of some?

there is a place i can dig them but they are quite small and i can only get 1 or 2 because they are so fast.

how can i improve my chance of digging a good quantity?

is there anywhere online that i can buy them?

thanks in advance

:cool: Allan's Marine in Portsmouth stock live eels. Ring 02392 671833 for details, just heard of a big bass being caught on one of his eels, so they do work. For really BIG bass use mackeral or a large dead bait. Really BIG bass don't usually chase small baits. :D

[ 26. July 2005, 07:20 PM: Message edited by: Norm B ]

Or try a push net - like a shrimping net but made of small mesh, and push through the sand in shallow water where sandeels may be.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Hi ***Simon***,

you should go down to where all the local fishing boats are moored up, I'm sure you will find a supplier there as many of the longliners rely on sandeels to bait their hooks. The bonus will be that they much cheaper from a source like this, bigger and fresher also. Make sure you have a decent livebait bucket and aerator setup, change the water frequently and add ice packs to keep the temperature down. A couple of other points worth a mention are to get a big container to keep them in when not being transported as this takes much longer to pollute than a small tub, also do not keep to many together as they seem die much more quickly and you could end up with none left by the time you need them.

Looked after you should get a few days out of them before the carc it with a simple setup.

I have always figured it much better to actually spend your spare time fishing, rather than chasing eels for yourself. :)