32 pound Thames Pike!!

Peter Waller

I don't expect that I would, but I'm damned sure somebody else would.

Actually, if I remember correctly, and I often don't, but I vaguelly remember commenting on a centre page spread, re Oulton Broad, in the Angling Times.

The report, in the Mail, was rather more than just about your pike though, although I headlined, just it as they did.

To be honest, Gerry, mentioning Penton Hook on the Thames is no different to mentioning Brundall on the Yare, it happens. This report is in the press, front cover job in every Tesco in the country. It shows that the EA is doing what it is paid to do. You, and others, have been critical of the EA in the past, but this is good news for those who buy their licences. The Thames is in good nick, excellent news for all city anglers.

[ 15. October 2005, 07:40 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loudyboy, the 'rails' has been very poor for sometime now. If there is no one else there then you can guess why! I rowed over a bream shoal the other evening, lovely smell, but I think that there is only the one smallish shoal on the Broad at the moment. Personally I shall be up river on Sunday.

Guest Brumagem Phil

Oh come on fellahs, stop the wrangling.......we all like to think of the little nooks we fish as "our water" but to be fair they are not ours at all, we merely pay a license fee to fish them.

To be honest though argyll, bar a brief flurry of people coming to have a crack at "your" stretch of river, I doubt the article will make any difference to your fishing.

Take for example my current favourite bit of river, Holt Fleet on the Severn....its known by all and sundry for its quality and many of the pegs are smooth flat mud such is the traffic they get, but most evenings I fish there i'm the only one on the river and i've only once in all the times i've been failed to get in my favourite peg.

[ 15. October 2005, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: Brumagem Phil ]

argyll:

..and if the piece had said '32lb pike caught from the north side of Oulton Broad and aren't we all pleased how well the broad is fishing' would you have been so quick to point it out ? Think not. Don't worry tho', next time someone enquires about the broads...I might.

I have it on good authority that Oulton is fishing well Gerry - one angler had 4 20's in one day, just last week!!

I'm planning to start guiding on Oulton next season.

[ 17. October 2005, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: Charlie Bettell ]

Charlie, sorry mate, but 4x20's last week on Oulton Broad? I don't think so.

I had three sessions on Oulton Broad and on the Waveney at Beccles and although I had one good day, the fishing hasn't been fantastic. Even though I only fished once on the three days at OB, we popped by each time to nose about and, frankly, didn't see many fishing on the broad either!

I think John Wilson caught the only 20lber on the broad, and that was last Christmas LOL (only joking Peter!)

There is the odd bigger fish, Loudy, but the better days have gone. I fished it yesterday and had more jacks than Halfords! Personally I put it down to poor fish handling and the huge increase in summer deadbaiting. One thing is for sure, things ain't what they used to be. When no one is fishing the dead-end you know the fishing is poor.

Don't get my wrong, Peter, I've seen some of the bigger Pike in OB, more likely in Jan-March time more often than not. However, I can't believe 4x20s were caught last week by one Angler on the same day. In fact, I'd be suprised (but wouldn't totally disbelieve) if a single 20 came out last week, IMO.