32 pound Thames Pike!!

Peter Waller

Phil - you could be 100% correct. Since the term isn't used over here at all and has no emotive content for me, I am simply dealing with comments I remember from earlier threads when some valued members were offended.

If you have no other good term to describe a piece of water that looks to you like it will hold pike, then I suppose you should use the term but if someone blasts you for it, don't act surprised or offended.

I checked with a google search for define:pedunkle and since the below is the only meaning that showed up, I sort of felt it was a term we could happily do without.

quote:

pedunkle is a pejorative slang term used in the United Kingdom. The term, a contraction of the word "turnpike", was originally used to denote Irish Travellers, but in recent years the definition has become looser and is sometimes used to refer to a wide section of the (generally urban) underclass of the country, particularly those on whom the lower middle classes look down. ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/pedunkle

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Brumagem Phil

Trouble is newt, you nannies are actually doing MORE harm than good by actually making innocent terms offensive.

Context and intent is EVERYTHING newt....for example, some black people use the term "ice cream" to derogatively describe white people. Does that mean you dont describe a bowl of frozen milk as ice cream? No of course it doesnt!

I certainly would be dead against people using the term pedunkle in a way that would alienate or denegrate other human beings, but using it to describe a nice looking piece of pike habitat is being reactionary and petty IMO.

Brumagem Phil:

but using it to describe a nice looking piece of pike habitat is being reactionary and petty IMO.

I completely agree with that statement.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

For the record, I have no objections whatsoever to the term 'pedunkle' being used in relation to pike and pike fishing. I use the term 'carpy' to describe areas likely to hold carp and even 'breamy' to describe a hesitant bite on my carp rods.

Direct, obvious insults are a different thing entirely, but I'd hate this wonderful forum to lose freedom of expression over a word with two meanings.

I think we're grown up enough to treat any use of such terms on their merit and deal with it accordingly. This is a civilised forum populated by decent people and I trust them and it to treat us all fairly.

All the best.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

I too see no problem is using the term 'pedunkle' in the context of describing an area that looks to contain Pike.

PC gone mad could include the use of the term 'fishy' generally, as I'm sure the Great Yarmouth populous could easily get offended

The Thames is certainly a wonderful river.

Fishing a tributary yesterday with 2 customers we managed barbel of 13.1 / 10.14 /10.12 and an 8lber. This bit of water was pristine, clean and had wonderful fauna.

Last week some "travellers" moved into a field opposite. The river path is now littered with plastic bags full of excrement and smeared paper adorns the path for a 100 yard area.

I don't know what you call these sort of people.

Graham

Graham Elliott:

I don't know what you call these sort of people.

Call them what you like, Graham. Respect isn't a given, it's earned, and so is scorn. Just don't include us all in the description, that's all.

There's a stretch of the Thames near me that's littered with anglers' rubbish, including excrement. These 'anglers' are no better than the selfish, ignorant creatures that messed up the area you mentioned. Thank goodness they don't represent us all, either.

Sadly, we'll never see a 'world shortage of scumbags' declaration any time soon.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

I really don't get all this...if someone uses the word "Chavs" do I feel included?? No, because I am not a Chav, although I do live in Kent :D

If someone uses the word pedunkle, am I offended? No, because I am not a pedunkle.

So what is a pedunkle? generally assumed to be someone of no fixed abode who travels the country stopping for a few days until moved on, and generally leaving a disgusting mess and damage.

That is how most of these "travellers" behave...FACT.

Once a person or persons move out of that category and mode of behaviour then they are no longer considered to be pedunkle.

Please advise me as to what other term I should use to describe them?

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Sorry, forgot to include the 9.12 and 11.1 barbel we had as well.

Agree with you Wordbender. Unfortunatly on the way there yesterday I passed a fly tipped load of cut trees and debris in a railway siding.

Another indication of the "travellers" consideration towards normal people. Still I am sure the public paid for DVD listing their "rights" will help out a lot.

Incidently. I consider a Romani to be those quaint little horsedrawn carriages with lots of china in the window and people with respect for the land.

The others I consider little more than SXXXE

Graham

Dear Chaps,

Just to clarify;

The "Southern" descriptive of "pedunkle" in reference to "travellers" or "Gipsy", "Romany" doesn't actually exist around these parts or indeed in the North. pedunkle is a Southern term not generally known up here.

Mostly up here, "travellers" are called either "travellers" or "Gipo's". Romanies are actually quite well respected in my area with local leaders being well known characters. Some even take to the traditional ways in the spring summer months going around the local Belvoir villages in traditional horse drawn caravans doing odd jobs and traditional ways of earning a Romany living. I often stop for a mug of tea with these people in the morning whilst going to work. George Gascoine is a Romany leader around here and a very interesting chap to talk to. As for "travellers"? I know a fair few of these families as well. Never done me any harm.

The term "pedunkle" around here is restricted to anglers that fish for quite stupid fish. Not their fault, the fish I mean. Millions of years passing through evolution meant that intelligent development passed them by completely. Barbel are only a slight notch up the clever scale which is why I fish for them. Carp are exceedingly clever and is the sole reason why I don't even attempt to fish for them. Plus I'll have to wait until Grandma; Church of England not Romany pegs it before I get the inheritance enabling me to buy the tackle to catch carp anyway.

Regards,

Lee.