32 pound Thames Pike!!

Peter Waller

Peter Waller:

And yes, there is one full blooded, computer literate, Romany mush on site. He needs a computer, depending, as he does, on the grammer and word check facility.

Although others appear to have more need of that facility.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

argyll:

'pedunkle'

You cant use that word on here Lee. One of the AN regulars has a fourth cousin married to a woman who once lived next door to a man who's boss has a second home in Ireland just up the road from some 'travellers'....and he's easily offended.

If it's me you're referring to, mate, I'm hardly the 'easily offended' type. To a Romani, the term 'pedunkle' equates to a black person being referred to as a 'Nigger', but I guess it's only possible to know the effect of such terms if you've been on the wrong end of them.

It's all about context and intent, really, and I'm sure the fragrant, non-embittered Trenters wasn't persecuting my delicate self. :D

trent.barbeler:

Romany, Romany, where for art thou Romany.

Obviously, I was engaged in one of my peg-making, violin-playing and generally being raggle-taggle seminars.

Or possibly not.

Now, watchuwant, Mush?

:D

See, the man does have a nice nature. Tis only when he nicks his little finger making cloths pegs that he turns nasty.

You can come out of hiding now Lee, my old Gran stayed asleep. Like Tel she has a good nature.

Guest Brumagem Phil

All this PC stuff is very silly......if you are referring to Mr pedunkle (the fish) you are offending nobody.

You are not being racist by calling a blackboard a blackboard.

The offence comes when its aimed at someone, not used in its correct context.

As such, if I think a little corner of a lake looks very pedunkle, then Imean it looks like its inhabited by a few pike, not a bunch of travellers!

Phil, not so much a case of P.C., more a case of 'fishing'. Just for the record Wordbender is Romano. One of the other AN regulars is married to a Romani, my Gran was Romani too. It is a subject that has been discussed in the past and the longer term regulars all know the score. Don't take such references too seriously!

Brumagem Phil:

As such, if I think a little corner of a lake looks very pedunkle, then Imean it looks like its inhabited by a few pike, not a bunch of travellers!

Since the term is a racist insult when directed toward a person and could easily cause offense (forum's lack of body language and other visible clues) when none was intended, why not avoid it. Pikish would do nicely for describing a fishy looking area and wouldn't run the risk of giving offense.

I agree that PC can easily be taken too far and often is these days but I'd love to see this particular term unused. Hopefully when we get the new forum software Elton can put it into the autocensor and we won't see it in the future.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

oh NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The autocensor that prevents the word 'scrap' because of the conjunction of the last four letters of the aforesaid word.

Please not the autocensor!

I know of one site where the autocensor bans the use of the word 'Decorate' - on the basis that such activity is a profanity and an abuse of manhood in the eyes of the site-owner. On second thoughts, maybe it's a good call!

[ 19. October 2005, 11:24 PM: Message edited by: Alan Stubbs ]

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

Guest Brumagem Phil

Sorry newt but apart from being totally wrong, your whole post shoots itself in the foot!

The word pedunkle was probably used for centuries to describe an area which looked good for resident pike, in fact decades before some bunch of self righteous little toerags decided to use it as a defamatory remark aimed at others. Nobody could possibly mistake it for a defamatory remark when talkign about a body of water and a particular type of fish.

A word is just a word newt...its how and where its directed that makes it offensive. Wordbender above put it perfectly when he said "It's all about context and intent, really"

[ 20. October 2005, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: Brumagem Phil ]