32 pound Thames Pike!!

Peter Waller

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Peter,

Mr Bean perhaps?

And I bet Graham doesn't get his drive done on the cheap now.

Regards,

Lee.

Not likely, all the travellers in my part of the world are putting plastic fascias on houses, and making a right pig's ear of it, as well as loads of money. Haven't had a bloke offering to do my drive with a load of tar from a job down the road for years now.

Guest Brumagem Phil
Brumagem Phil:

"but using it to describe a nice looking piece of pike habitat is being reactionary and petty IMO. "I completely agree with that statement.

Well newt, I bet you feel very big and proud at using my minor gramatical error to try and make me look foolish.

Idiot!

Actually I think your whole stance on this is pretty disgusting, and without wishing to offend you, is also very American. Let me explain..........you've said its offensive, yet wordbender who according to you should be offended by the term, pretty much bats your whole argument into touch by saying he uses it himself. Even so, you still want this term to be added to the autocensor just to please YOU!!! That I'm afraid is how I actually view the whole American ethos.......if YOU think its wrong, then be fbuggered what anyone else thinks!

Edited by Brumagem Phil

Well dang Phil.

You gets upset when I disagrees with you. You gets upset with I agrees with you. You calls me 'idiot' when I has not ever, even once, called you anything insulting. :(:(

Tell you what, I'll avoid commenting or responding to anything you post in the future unless a real, true, honest-to-goodness Brit reports your post and at that point, I'll simply moderate the post as needed.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Guest Brumagem Phil

.......and to top it all off you resort to the lowest form of wit, sarcasm!

I didnt get upset when you disagreed with me, I am however a little miffed that you chose to take my grammatical error as a way to try and have a dig at me (its a pity you chose to take such a petty stance, but then perhaps it demonstrates how weak your argument was to begin with)

I think its telling that in this whole thread you are the ONLY ONE complaining about the use of the word pedunkle to describe an area which looks very likely to hold pike!

Without doubt newt, you are the ONLY ONE actually arguing for the case that the term be banned........how very democratic of you. I presume on the basis of over 7000 members you'll take one reported post as vindication of your position...now if only your great nation had used the same principle before it went off to war eh? ;-)

G'nite

Edited by Brumagem Phil

I actually fish with a handful of Travellers from various sites in the South East and to be honest the term pedunkle really tickles them to bits! They'd rob ya sooner than thank you too Newt! They're scally wags to be sure but damned great company and they simply love thier Pike fishing! ;)

Edited by Dave Horton

I actually fish with a handful of Travellers from various sites in the South East and to be honest the term pedunkle really tickles them to bits! They'd rob ya sooner than thank you too Newt! They're scally wags to be sure but damned great company and they simply love thier Pike fishing! ;)

Got to be good people, they like their pike fishing! Some Romani prefer carp, poor disallusioned specimens ;)

Phil, personally I think that your assessment of Newt is wrong. He can't help being American, an accident of birth, but, apart from his spelling, he is pretty much like you and me, and generally pretty diplomatic! You have attacked him, I don't think that was deserved.

At worst he can, in this instance, be accused of trying to avoid what could have been a difficult thread. It has happened, in the past, when a newcomer has joined in and what started as good natured digs has quickly developed into a racist tirade. Newt was right to attempt to defuse a potentially difficult subject.

None of us were offended by what was said, but we might have been by what might have been said, if you see what I mean. Newt was right to be careful.

Back to travellers. At one time I managed a caravan site. We always allowed travellers to stop over. They don't sh#t on their own doorstep so to speak. In other words their behaviour was impeccable, they left their pitches immaculate. They knew that they were welcome to return. But, as I have been told, if they knew they would not be allowed back, it was not their doorstep, they would foul it. Questionable attitude, bad PR so to speak, but it has a certain logic.

My Gran's family are Showmen, and I know their feeling about the rubbish that us lot leave on their sites!!

Guest Brumagem Phil

Sorry peter but I simply can't agree with you there. Newt has carried on a personal crusade on this thread about a subject nobody else seems to have a problem with.

As to attacking him, I called him an idiot and with good reason........due to a grammatical error my stance appeared to have done a U-turn. Newt instead of ignoring this as he new what my stance was, chose to use this gramatical error to belittle me. On that basis I think hes an idiot, plain and simple. He then went on to be even more sarcastic in his subsequent post.

My remarks about his attitude being very typical of an american......I stand by those too! Americans are great people provided you subscribe to their point of view, but if you dont they try and belittle you, shout you down or simply ignore you. If you think thats unfair, try taking a look at the swordfish thread on the sea fishing forum.

To be quite frank peter, I think it quite an irony that someone from a nation that has bastardised our language to such a degree should actually have the cheek to tell me how to speak in my own country!

I have nothing further to add.