32 pound Thames Pike!!

Peter Waller

Dear Peter,

I like the picture at the bottom of your posts.

I hate the concept of political correctness. Not quite British somehow even though a lot of our wishy washy UK politicians adapt their whole careers around its ideology.

"Pikers". How’s that? Although to some this term "might" be misconstrued to being compared to English Civil War participants running each other through with long staffs and pointee metal bits on the end. Pike anglers might get miffed with being compared to Cromwell’s ruffians running amuck in murderous attacks on the gentle Royalist side.

See what I'm driving at? One mans herring is another mans smelt.

And how the hell did big Thames pike turn into pedunkle people purposely practising piscatorial pastimes aimed at catching stupid fish!!??

Small wonder they dug Cromwell up.

Regards,

Lee.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gents - my apologies.

I assumed the feelings and opinions expressed by some of you in This thread were still valid and that use of a term that Elton called "*extremely* racist. And I mean, *extremely* racist " would be out of place on the forum.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,

This must be very difficult for you and I would just like to say that if I were to use the term 'pedunkle' or any other pejorative term that describes a minority group of people I would get fired.

It does not matter that some of the travelling community are not offended by it.

My (no doubt unpopular) advice would be...if it's insulting, don't allow it.

You must have a lot of patience Newt to work hard only to receive abuse, but I'm guessing many silent people are right behind you.

Edited by Ian FG

Guest Brumagem Phil

Peter and wordbender.........I'm sure newt is a nice fellah, but he took the rise out of me and I didnt like it and I told him so!! I've seen peter have "words" with other people so please, dont try and suggest I should behave in a manner that you are not prepared to follow yourself. Also dont try and suggest that because i'm new here that my opinion is any less valid than if I'd been here for years, cos thats simply tosh.

Newt.......you still dont get it do you???? Yes. using the term pedunkle to address a traveller of any type is downright rude and shouldnt be allowed on the list (same as jibes about immigrants, gays or any other minority you care to mention) but i'm afraid all you've done by trying to twist the words usage is create an issue where frankly one didnt exist in the first place.

I believe in the US some black folks use the term "ice cream£ to disparagingly refer to white folk......by your logic, I should refrain from using the words ice cream just in case a white person takes offence!

Anyway, I really have had a gutfull of this thread now (far too much political crap for my liking) so I'm outta here.

Peter and wordbender.........I'm sure newt is a nice fellah, but he took the rise out of me and I didnt like it and I told him so!! ... Also dont try and suggest that because i'm new here that my opinion is any less valid than if I'd been here for years, cos thats simply tosh.

Peter, 'taking the rise' goes on here all the time, mate, so taking a less-serious view of that would definitely be the best way forward. It's dished out all the time, and you've got to be able to see it for the light-hearted banter it is. For instance, you made some sweeping generalisations about 'all Americans', with which Newt could have taken issue, but he didn't.

Also, did anyone suggest that your opinion was less valid? I really do think you're reading too much into things, Phil. Lighten up, mate, and enjoy the best angling forum on the 'net.

All the best.

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

Oh yeagh we were on about the 32 from the Thames werent we! All though I accept what Peter says about the information all ready being public knowledge it isnt wise to continue drawing attention to it.Got to agree with Gerry here the area in question isnt that big and we all know the damage the "report chasers" can do.

Some of you have critiscised me for highlighting what is in the public domain, fair comment. I respect that from Budgie, not so much from Gerry. Afterall, its okay to highlight, with a photograph, a barbel fishing location, but not so pike fishing one? Its okay to highlight the Yare, but not the Thames? Mixed values going on here.

But I stand by my contention that the report was in the public arena, that the report is, in itself, a great credit to the much maligned Environment Agency, and for that reason, if for no other, highlighting the report was excusable.

Lee, the picture that you like is from Mr Crabtree. Yes, it is delightful, reminds me of parts of the Norfolk Broads, although I don't know the picture's location.

Any way enough of the rights and wrongs lets look at the real issue which Pete was raising ie the terrific state of the Thames at the moment. Is it that the EA have specificaly done great work on the Thames or just that the rivers in general seem to have improved, er, I suppose thats from a specimen anglers point of veiw anyway?

I personnaly think there is another reason for the over all improvement in specimen fish on our rivers but would like to hear what others think first.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Dear Peter,

One can easily imagine huge pike stalking those big bream shoals along the reed beds in your picture. That’s why I like it, a nice footnote in pictorial terms to your posts reminding us all, whatever we fish for, the wonderful watery environments we love so much. Nice one.

Dear Newt,

I guess it must be pretty hard understanding us Brits at times, especially hard understanding Brit anglers in all their complexities! But the one thing to remember is we all share the most common of grounds, that being a true love for fishing and the watery places we all fish within. At times, it might appear we have little in common at all, but underneath the banter and mickey taking even passionate belief, we remain brothers and sisters true to the spirit of our beloved sport. No apology is required from me Newt, because you, like all AN mods and Lord Elton himself, have given tremendous amounts to AN over the years making this particular site what it is; "THE" internet based fishing site which stands head and shoulders above the rest. Be very proud of your input here Newt because AN would be very much the poorer place without you.

Viva Anglers Net and viva barbel anglers. We really "are" superior to fishers of stupid fish!!

Regards,

Lee.

Dear Budgie,

"I personally think there is another reason for the over all improvement in specimen fish on our rivers but would like to hear what others think first."

It is my belief that as our rivers got cleaner, due to the demise of previous levels of pollution; our rivers habitats improved to such a level that fish stocks grew healthier. Better habitats eventually create bigger, healthier fish. And there’s no doubt that our rivers are throwing up previously unheard of sized fish.

Regards,

Lee.

Edited by trent.barbeler