LANCASTER CANAL RESTORATION

Janet

I had a lovely walk from Stainton down to Crooklands for a pint and back only a few weeks back with the kids on their bikes and its still a beautiful stretch. Gin clear water and fantastic plant and insect life, not to mention the fish (donkey tench and grass carp). In fact i would say its the nicest bit of canal i know and perfectly preserved. I just cant see how opening it up to hoards of boats to chugging up and down it destroying the habitat will help it. The boat boys and girls have got the rest of the canals to go at, lets have one bit left alone is what i say.

I just think that the best way to preserve something like a canal is to use it and it will thrive, if left and neglected it will decay, as has been said some parts of the northern reaches are waterless, sad to see and not much good to anyone.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

I just think that the best way to preserve something like a canal is to use it and it will thrive, if left and neglected it will decay, as has been said some parts of the northern reaches are waterless, sad to see and not much good to anyone.

I think you will find it is very much used and more than a lot of canals, just not by many boats.

Just to point out to those who don't know the canal, the parts of the northern reaches that are waterless aren't because of neglect, its because they were filled in years ago. If there was a campaign just to dig that bit back out i would sign it.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Janet signed and verified. I've frozen my bits off many times on the Lancy fishing Fylde winter league matches. I often pass over some of the Northely stretches as I have friends in the Lakes. The first time I did I didn't realise it was a canal it was so overgrown.