My Australian holiday - you asked for it !

Snatcher

After a 7.5 hr flight from Newcastle we arrived at Dubai where we were booked in for 3 nights.Stepping out of the plane was like being blasted in the face by a hairdryer - 39 degC was TOO hot!!

Well our hotel was a 5 star+ check out the marble floor

13.jpg

This was the view from our hotel balcony

1-11.jpg

It also had its own private beach and grounds

4-5.jpg

5-5.jpg

From the balcony we could also see the"palm" and famous "Yacht Hotel".On the down side the whole of Dubai was like one huge building site and there was a constant haze in the air.Also fogging of lenses was a problem as soon as you stepped out of the air conditioning!

Check out the building site next to our hotel,this is the view from our balcony

2-11.jpg

This is a close up - notice the pile drivers which operated virtually 24/7

3-9.jpg

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hotel had 7 theme restaurants within the grounds.We met up with two of Amandas friends(Mel and Dave) who work out in Dubai,at the Thai restaurant.The food really was the biz

14-1.jpg

In these two shots from our balcony you can see Dubai Marina with the "Palm" complex in the background and the "Yacht Hotel"

6-5.jpg

7-5.jpg

The hotel was that big did not manage to find the dartboard until our last night there :doh:

15-1.jpg

In Dubai it is assumed everyone owns at least one car and hence there are no pedestrian footpaths at all! It is impossible to just "cross the road" due to the heavy traffic and 5/6 line highways.It has to be a taxi everywhere.At least they were fairly cheap.We took one to the local souk(market)

12-1.jpg

The whole place was air conditioned,just as well because the heat was so intense and with it being Ramadan it was against the law to drink water in public during daylight.You were allowed to drink inside your own hotel through the day though. Check out this shop front.

11-1.jpg

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

I was informed that Dubai City did not exist 5/6 years ago and that it was then all desert.The markets have all beeen built with an "old look" intentionally

10-1.jpg

You could actuallt get a water taxi around the market we visited

8-5.jpg

Check out the honeymoon couple :rolleyes:

9-4.jpg

Well I hope you enjoyed these few pictures and they gave you a little insight into present day Dubai.Basically it was all skyscrapers and beach with little else to see.If you are a sun worshipper and enjoy the beach/pool scene it is ideal for you. I am pleased I seen the place and did have a great time but will not be doing it again. :rolleyes:

The next installment will be my oz adventures

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Wow, what an unusual place. Looks great for holiday makers. Lots of sun, sand, pools and drinks. Oh, I noticed a sun worshiper in the pic that you mentioned about your lens fogging up too :D . They're not short of a quid over there are they! Incredible place indeed.

Bring on the next installment.

Mick.

rb_getcreative.gif

A very nicely presented intro to your trip, with some excellent shots to illustrate your progress. :thumbs:

Not a place that I would stay in very long .... Can't stand heat of that magnitude !! :wub:

Eagery awaiting the next installment. :P

Well done Snatcher !! :rolleyes:

The Older I get .. The better I was.

I'm sorry but i think you're an imposter, the reason i say this is there's not a beer in sight.

Great pics mate hope you had a ball and got suitably sunburnt.

Cheers Fred

my mind not only wanders-- sometimes it leaves completely.

Updated 7/3/09

http://sites.google.com/site/pomfred/

The next stage of our holiday involved a 14hr flight from Dubai to Sydney. I was dreading it to be honest but due to the excellent choice of in-house movies that Emirates provided the time passed relatively quickly.

The taxi took from the airport to the apartment in Pyrmont that Amanda had booked for us.I really was nice and overlooked the Anzac Bridge and a massive car distribution site.The logistics staggered me! (oops forgot to clone out the beer bottle)

1-12.jpg

2-12.jpg

Within minutes of our arrival these two cheeky chappies flew onto our balcony rail for a nosy

3-10.jpg

We also had cockatoos perched in trees below us

4-6.jpg

The apartment was situated a short stroll from Darling Harbour. Check out this luxury liner!!

5-6.jpg

And the maratime museum was just around the corner as well.

6-6.jpg

Edited by Snatcher

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Next up was Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House

5-7.jpg

3-11.jpg

Amanda works in the city nearby so she arranged to pop down and see us during her lunch break

1-13.jpg

2-13.jpg

Next took a shot of the "bridge walkers". These guys go over in parties of 10 at about 15 minute intervals. The whole thing takes about 2 hours including the induction and a breathlyser and costs the psychos around £150 each. I felt ill just watching them because at times I do get a bit iffy with heights!!

4-7.jpg

Amanda joined us again after work and we had a few cool ones in the Opera House Bar. I have drunk in worse places :rolleyes:

6-7.jpg

Next installment - the Botanic Gardens

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair